Anyone with their AN/DP certs in the NY,NJ,LI,CT area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea I'll get out to the arundo but I just want to get out to the tower also. Are you trimix certified?

I think part of your hesitation to getting on the real wrecks (as opposed to the quarry) is the buddy thing. Buddy diving is not very popular amongst the wreck divers on the NJ/NY coast. You either gotta come with a buddy or get very comfortable being self reliant (as you should be with tech certs). No boat captain I know will tell you how to dive. They won't even suggest a dive plan. A shop chartering the boat may be different but I haven't ran into that in my travels.

Usually the boat is just a taxi to the wreck. They will help you get dressed and into the water but once you are under, all the responsibility is on you. There are no dive master lead dives from our boats.

Ken told you already what to do. Get on the boats. Forget about dutch for awhile. Nothing you do there will make you ready to dive the wrecks aside from diving the wrecks. Pick the shallow ones first and then get gradually deeper. Keep your plans simple and make friends with the guys on the boat rather than the guys "practicing" at dutch to get ready for the boats. I've seen this happen a lot were guys with all the tech certs are amazing divers in the quarry but can't dive anywhere near as good as the AOW guy with tons of real condition dives.

Get out there and dive. The Sea hawk out of freeport goes out each weekend and are very friendly towards newer wreck divers.

Lowviz let me know when your going to hit a good wreck out here. Maby you won't mind if I tag along? I won't be a burden. Just want to further my experience level. Let me know. My email is northeastwreckdiving@gmail.com. I feel funny asking you that considering your heading says "solo diver" 😅😅👌

---------- Post added June 21st, 2015 at 11:18 PM ----------

Ffdiver thank you. But please don't get me wrong. I've been diving off nj for a while. A lot of the wrecks. Within the 120'-140' range. I'm very comfortable out there. And please don't think I'm a god
damn "quary tec diver" I laugh at thoses guys. I see them come into my shop every week with the stages and the doubles. When you ask where they are going they say to Dutch. I hate Dutch!!!!! I go there when there is no boat to go out in due to weather or money. I'll go there if I have some major new equipment. The only reason I mean ruined Dutch in this post is because if I do find someone that wants to buddy up I would met blame them to not want to jump on a boat with me and dive a deep wreck not even knowing me let alone dive with me.

---------- Post added June 21st, 2015 at 11:21 PM ----------

Lowviz you like diving drunk??? Lol I mean I dive 25 percent at 150 and I'm pretty much ok. Maby a tiny bit narked. ����������

No problem, fellow N'Easter. I'll do you one better. ffdiver told it like it is, Danny knows. I just recently took a clinic with him to polish some stuff I was lacking in.

Forget guided anything. It is all on you. Pick a simple intact upright reefed vessel for your first real "on my own" dive. I suggest something like the Joan LaRie. (Axel Carlson Artificial Reef - New Jersey Scuba Diving) dive it, have fun, come back happy and unhurt.

In memory of the late Joe Terzouli (Captain Zero), stay within your range. YOU know in your gut what your range is. Your range will expand, just always stay within it. You will be doing yourself and everybody else a favor by doing so.

You can have a lot of fun here and it is all "off the books".

Be safe, you are on your own. I was booked for a dive today, it was blown out. Get cool with that too.

The seas are always greener right here. I couldn't be happier.

Well said. Very well said

NORTHEAST:
Lowviz you like diving drunk??? Lol I mean I dive 25 percent at 150 and I'm pretty much ok. Maby a tiny bit narked. ����������
No dis, but I need to make something clear.

Nope, don't like the feeling of being under the influence while diving. Pass on that. Pass on anyone thinking it's cool.

Same with depth, some of my very best dives have been very shallow.

I've seen this happen a lot were guys with all the tech certs are amazing divers in the quarry but can't dive anywhere near as good as the AOW guy with tons of real condition dives.

And some of them even leave their ankle weights clipped off to the platform. :D

Haha. Yeah I deserve that! It wouldn't have happened if lowviz just needed some damn trim weights.

Sometimes you gotta go to the quarry, the trick is to not forget about all the great diving out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom