AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For the AOW cert card is there any mandatory specialties the must be completed for the card. I know you have to complete 4 but are there any required specialties. I'm thinking about taking Deep, Nav and I haven't decided on the last two yet.

I am pretty sure you have to complete 5 specialties for your AOW... I believe Deep and Nav are required. As duck pointed out, nitrox is a good one to check off followed by Night and Boat should give you a good base...

Night is pretty sweet and Boat is pretty trivial but knowing how to get out of and back in the boat during rough seas is something you would want to know if you ever plan to get out of the quarry or lakes...

PADI loves there money but these would be the 5 I would start with and in fact, I believe its what I did myself...!

Enjoy, lee

Quoted from 2011 SSI Standards:

Training Requirements: In order to receive an
Advanced Open Water Diver rating or Junior Advanced
Open Water Diver rating, students are to successfully
complete any 4 Specialty programs and log a total of at
least 24 open water dives for certification.

You can choose the specialties you are most interested in, the individual specialties will be listed on your advanced card. If your dive count is below 24 at the end of the course, your instructor will hold your certification until you complete your 24th dive. Have fun. Night Diving is a favorite course of mine, search and recovery, Digital Photography, and Drysuit are also great classes...

Hope this helps

You have to complete "5"... Deep Dive and Navigation are required. Night used to be one of the required dives, but because of places like Iceland where they don't have night per se, PADI dropped that as one of the required dives.

I think some of you haven't noticed that this question is posted in the SSI area... and have mistakenly answered in confusion that it was a PADI question.... :shakehead:

scwdive quotes the latest SSI standards...

I think some of you haven't noticed that this question is posted in the SSI area... and have mistakenly answered in confusion that it was a PADI question.... :shakehead:

scwdive quotes the latest SSI standards...

Thanks Andy... I got that feeling after reading scwdive reply... (egg on face)

al248005, sorry about the confusion and lesson learned on my part...! When looking at new post, never assume... scwdive, thanks for the correction!!!

lee

DevonDiver - Right once again! :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom