Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to find a furnished 1 bedroom apartment with air conditioning, hot water, and wifi for January and February 2017.

Ideally no more than 10-20 minute walk from Utila Dive Center, and not super noisy.

Which apartment(s) would you recommend? Why? Have you stayed there before? How long did you stay?

Thanks

i would recommend checking out www.aboututila.com

Thx, laurecneh......I've already looked at the website you mentioned. I am hoping to get feedback and input from people who have stayed at the properties, rather than relying on what the proprietors of the various properties have to say :wink:

Can you offer any firsthand experience/advice about any of the properties on the website you mention?

Thx, laurecneh......I've already looked at the website you mentioned. I am hoping to get feedback and input from people who have stayed at the properties, rather than relying on what the proprietors of the various properties have to say :wink:

Can you offer any firsthand experience/advice about any of the properties on the website you mention?

I would recommend posting on Utila Buy and Sell, Log into Facebook | Facebook for an apartment. It's done quite often with many local responses.

I've found the best bet is to wait until you arrive on Utila then start looking for an apartment so that way you can see what you'll be renting and it's never taken me more than a couple of hours to find a place in January.

The noise factor is kind of a wildcard as you never know if you'll have a neighbour who likes to do things like crank up really bad country music all day, every day.

So far I've stayed at: Maggie's Place, McNab's place in the nursery, Caribbean Dreams, and The Gardens.

I'd be interested in staying at Tropical Sunset and Sandstone as well.

The "best" of the lot was The Gardens however I'm under the impression that they're not doing monthly rentals any more.

I agree use Utila Buy and Sell we found our place in 2 days.

if you'll be on until for a few weeks in april i would avoid utila town the week leading up to easter (semana santa), its the biggest holiday of the year in central america and the town is crazy busy, noisy and over crowded. if that doesn't sound like fun, i would recommend staying away from town at least for that week.

Caribbean Dreams Apartments
About $500 per month.

I stayed in one of the apartments for about 3 weeks.
Kitchen/living room + separate bedroom/bathroom.
2 air conditioners.

1 minute walk to UDC.
(2 if you're slow).

Caribbean Dreams was pretty good. I'd stay there again if I were a single or couple but there's three of us this year.

Wood building so you want to be on the top floor to avoid noisy neighbours
Small apartments, the bathroom was so small that I couldn't sit on the toilet straight ( no I'm not making that up )
Really clean, not just clean, but hospital clean as in they literally wash the entire apartment between tenants.
Street noise wasn't too bad in the building at the back of the property.
Landlady is super nice.

I booked Tropical Sunset this year, $550/month for a two bedroom. I've only seen one of their apartments and it was huge and I can provide an on the spot analysis when I get there towards the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom