Apeks BP/W Setup Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aflick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased an BP/W setup that mostly consists of APEKS gear. I am new to BP/W's and am looking for a little advice.

I purchased the APEKS WTX D30, SS back plate, web harness and surelock weight system (incase I need it). Additionally, I purchased a ScubaPro x-tec single tank adapter with tank straps (which seems to be the source of the problem).

I have tried routing the tank straps through the SP single tank adapter, WTX30, backplate and back and am finding that the tank straps (and grommets) don't align well with the WTX 30 and backplate. In fact, when I align the screws, the tank straps are pinched since the holes don't align.

Has anybody had experience with this setup? Will it work or do I need to switch over to the Apeks single tank adapter? If so, will the SP tank straps work?

Perhaps I am routing it the wrong way...

Are you saying you're trying to route the straps through the STA and the BP/wing too? The straps route through the slots on the STA only, which is then bolted to the BP, with the wing sandwiched between them. This is what the Halcyon version looks like: Extreme Exposure

Are you saying you're trying to route the straps through the STA and the BP/wing too? The straps route through the slots on the STA only, which is then bolted to the BP, with the wing sandwiched between them. This is what the Halcyon version looks like: Extreme Exposure

Yes...which may be the problem. But if you're not supposed to route the straps through the BP/W, why are the holes in both the wing and BP? Also, why do the straps have a grommet hole?

If you're asking why there are slots for straps in both the BP and wing, they're there so you can thread straps through the two if you're not using an STA. It doesn't strike me as very stable, but I've never tried it. I'm not sure what you mean by the second question, I haven't taken the time to look into the details of Apex BP/Ws or harnesses. The Halcyon webbing used for their one-piece harness has a grommet where it lays across the upper hole in the BP where the bolt comes through. It really doesn't serve any function, though, except to make the hole in the webbing look neater.

Yes...which may be the problem. But if you're not supposed to route the straps through the BP/W, why are the holes in both the wing and BP? Also, why do the straps have a grommet hole?
To be explicit:

The harness straps that hold the diver go through slots in the backplate.

The camband straps that hold the cylinder go through the STA.

Some backplate have slots for the camband straps in which case you do not need an STA.

The hole/grommet in the harness is where a twinset usually bolts to the backplate. STAs don’t always bolt in the same place.

If you're asking why there are slots for straps in both the BP and wing, they're there so you can thread straps through the two if you're not using an STA. It doesn't strike me as very stable, but I've never tried it.
I tried it and found it quite comfortable for light rec diving, when I needed to minimize gear bulk for carry-on only travel.

But it was absolutely essential to use rubber pads so as to keep the tank from shifting.

I have had good experience strapping a single tank to backplate without an STA using 2 sets of cam straps. I have not had my tank shift at all. I think if one was using only one cam strap then an STA or some other kind of tank stabilizer would be more essential.

For the OP, one reason to use an STA is it allows more rapid switching between single and double tanks....one does not have to unthread/rethread the cam straps through the wing and backplate for the single tank as they remain threaded through the removable STA. An STA is also good for transferring some weight to the backplate that would otherwise be worn on a weight belt. Also, some wings do not have slots for tank cam straps...this makes an STA more of a necessity to dive a single tank.

-Z

I use the WTX harness and D30 wing, as do several other divers I know. None of us use an STA with a single tank, including 15l. Our cam straps are threaded through the holes in the wing, through the corresponding vertical 2" straps that run up the back of the harness, and then back out of the holes on the other side of the wing. In this configuration, the back plate just slides into the harness - no straps go through it. The slots in the back plate are just for when you use a simple harness strap and not the WTX comfort harness. Two coach bolts secure the wing to the harness and two more secure the plate to the harness, just to be double sure - the straps also do this.

I use the WTX harness and D30 wing, as do several other divers I know. None of us use an STA with a single tank, including 15l. Our cam straps are threaded through the holes in the wing, through the corresponding vertical 2" straps that run up the back of the harness, and then back out of the holes on the other side of the wing. In this configuration, the back plate just slides into the harness - no straps go through it. The slots in the back plate are just for when you use a simple harness strap and not the WTX comfort harness. Two coach bolts secure the wing to the harness and two more secure the plate to the harness, just to be double sure - the straps also do this.

I didn't buy the WTX harness...I couldn't get past the price tag with the harness included.

Thanks everybody for letting me know what I was doing wrong. Although I will say it seems like it would be more secure routing through the STA, wing and backplate. I guess my job has made me used to having redundancy.

I originally bought the apeks sta and found it didnt work well with my 117cu ft cylinders. I switched to the scubapro and had bo issues at all. Check the routing like others stated .

Back
Top Bottom