Apeks BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Randy,

I don't agree with you in this matter. I have four Air 2 at this moment. I don't mind using for the rec diving set up. Of course, it isn't the primary 2nd stage, but I am not sure how often you need to use your octo. Sure, it is a totally different story with DIR and tech diving rig.
an actual user with an AIR2.. there's more in the post but it added to the guys problems. He needs more training but.. well check it out.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1278509#post1278509

Thanks for all your comments, our shop just happens to like the alternate air. My Instructor asked me if, I would use one. No big Deal. It's a big Step for him just to introduce the BPW into his shop. We have no problem about selleing anyone octo's, but all the gear in our rental fleet has alternate air, so I use an alternate air. He's not opposed to different teaching methods.

As far as me becoming a tech instructor, someday. In the meantime I will just keep working on the basics.

stoiclown:
Thanks for all your comments, our shop just happens to like the alternate air. My Instructor asked me if, I would use one. No big Deal. It's a big Step for him just to introduce the BPW into his shop. We have no problem about selleing anyone octo's, but all the gear in our rental fleet has alternate air, so I use an alternate air. He's not opposed to different teaching methods.

As far as me becoming a tech instructor, someday. In the meantime I will just keep working on the basics.
I understand your shop's issue. They need to make money, but that doensn't mean the air2 is worth a crap. No matter who sells them they are not a good nor safe option. They increase task loading and don't breathe well. The last thing a stressed diver needs is more task loading. If the diver is stressed and close to panic how do you suppose he's going to effectivly use the inflator/deflator? All I ask is for anyone who uses one is to think it's use thoroughly through. In fact try using one with no mask, a moderate current flowing and an inexperienced diver as your buddy. Make sure you have a diver with experience and a long hose close by for backup. Yes, I'm really serious.

Good luck, dive safe.

Randy

Randy43068
If I'm your dive buddy and run out of air, do you think I give a #$%^ what you are breathing off of as long as I get some air from you. And if your out of air, I'm the one breathing off the Air2 so what do you care, I'm the one breathing off it.

cnctina:
Randy43068
If I'm your dive buddy and run out of air, do you think I give a #$%^ what you are breathing off of as long as I get some air from you.

Uh...yah...as a matter of fact.

Been there...done that...

...and yep...at a 100 plus feet, realizing that my last breath was soon approaching, I remember my greatest anxiety was over my buddy's rig...looking at that octo hopin' it was gonna work. Fortunately it did work, but I would have felt a whole lot better if he was rigged Hog.

cnctina:
Randy43068
If I'm your dive buddy and run out of air, do you think I give a #$%^ what you are breathing off of as long as I get some air from you. And if your out of air, I'm the one breathing off the Air2 so what do you care, I'm the one breathing off it.
you can figure out how this would go... YOU may not have my "good" regulator for long in the situation you outlined...

I can't speak for others but I have taken this thread waaaayyy off topic.

Well, I'm a bit envious that you are going to try this thing out. I'm sure that it will be quite a while before we stock 'em. I'm very anxious for you to try it out and report back what you think about it.

As far as this thread is concerned...it would have been pretty short if you hadn't brought up using an alt-air on a wing...in the Hog forum, no less. (No way that wasn't gonna raise some eyebrows.) Plus... no one has seen or touched this wing yet. So, about the only thing to talk about is what the picture looks like. While I tried to limit my remarks to the wing and then to the idea of putting an alt-air on it, please forgive us for wandering a bit.

Stephen,

I saw, touched and ordered it all (including both wings) 1 month ago. It looked and felt like a quality rig. I will let you know how it test's out when it comes in. Regards
Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom