Apeks Delrin Handwheels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I remember a thread a while ago after Apeks switched to the Delrin Handwheels. :D
I also remember how I was saying that it's stupid to switch from metal to molded plastic because it would be weaker. I also remember how the Apeks representative came on board and defended their decision saying it would be as strong or even stronger (?) than the metal and together with some board member (Hi Rescuediver :wink:) jumped in my throat saying that I don't have a clue and I'm just bashing Apeks as I dislike them. :11doh:
Well, 2 weeks ago one out of my 3 Apeks DS4's with the Delrin handwheels showed cracking in the aforementioned crappy handwheels. :eyebrow:
My reg tech took anly one look at them and said: Yup, it's broken and Aqualung replaces then as a warranty work... He put a brand new metal handwheel on it.
Oh wonder, they went back to metal...I gues the handwheels made out of 2 differnet molded plastics didn't hold up.
Kudos for Apeks for replacing them without charge but shame on them for ruining something that wasn't in need of an improvement in the first place. :shakehead

I'd be intereted to hear whether there are any more member on board who made similar experiences with the Delrin handwheels. :huh:

I have the old style DS4 with the metal handwheel on one post and the derlin handwheel on the other. Never had any problems with either. That being said I'd prefer both being metal.

aquaoren:
Yup, explaining the complicated process of moulding 2 different kinds of plastic.

No he didn't - a letter from APEKS was posted:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1365292&postcount=12

Delrin is a pretty tough plastic. If correctly employed/engineered it should stand quite a lot of abuse. We used to inject gear trains using Delrin over metal bearings and they'd just about last forever.
I'm curious if your wheel didn't impact anything that would even have damaged the metal version.
OTOH unless they've improved it over the years it has a terrible smell when being injected which makes it a manufacturing headache.

miketsp:
No he didn't - a letter from APEKS was posted:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1365292&postcount=12

Delrin is a pretty tough plastic. If correctly employed/engineered it should stand quite a lot of abuse. We used to inject gear trains using Delrin over metal bearings and they'd just about last forever.
I'm curious if your wheel didn't impact anything that would even have damaged the metal version.
OTOH unless they've improved it over the years it has a terrible smell when being injected which makes it a manufacturing headache.
That's not the thread I had in mind. :wink:
I was rather talking about this thread. Specifically about this post.

Don't recall anything that could have caused it.

Oren, I know exactley how you broke those handwheels. Think back all the way to the first weekend in June when that dude bumped into while doing a free descent on the munson, remember the one in the white doubles? I think that's what broke your handwheel:D

I think I still owe ya a beer!

Alex

They went back to metal a long time ago. They stopped making the Delrin ones. I like them, but I haven't broken one yet either :wink:

aquaoren:
I'd be intereted to hear whether there are any more member on board who made similar experiences with the Delrin handwheels. :huh:
The smart ones didn't buy that stroke gear in the first place :tongue2:

JeffG:
The smart ones didn't buy that stroke gear in the first place :tongue2:

LOL!! So if I order up some DS4's now they will hav emetal handwheels? I need a few new first stages.

Where's the hot place to get 'em? I don't care about the warranty. But I do care about the price, and making sure they aren't used or counterfeit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom