Apeks Flight, cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richardmenard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I seen some conflicting information online concerning the safe operating temperatures of the Flight setup. Aqualung/Apeks websites do say it is good to 10C, some of the dealers websites say it's suitable for much colder temperatures. Can you clear this up for me?

On the Aqualung website, they mention a cold water version to be available late 2010. Is this available, or going to be available? I just purchased mine a couple weeks ago. Would mine by this 2nd generation, or could it be upgraded?

Last question. I purchased the yoke version. Can it be converted to and from DIN if needed?

Thanks.

I can tell you from experience that you do not want to dive this reg in cold water. In 49* I had a free flow.

The cold water version has not been released according to our local rep.

If you have the DIN version of the reg, you can screw on the yoke adapter and it works okay. I find that I have to drop my tank a bit lower so my head doesn't hit the reg with the yoke adapter attached.

I seen some conflicting information online concerning the safe operating temperatures of the Flight setup. Aqualung/Apeks websites do say it is good to 10C, some of the dealers websites say it's suitable for much colder temperatures. Can you clear this up for me?

On the Aqualung website, they mention a cold water version to be available late 2010. Is this available, or going to be available? I just purchased mine a couple weeks ago. Would mine by this 2nd generation, or could it be upgraded?

Last question. I purchased the yoke version. Can it be converted to and from DIN if needed?

Thanks.
There is no simple answer as to when a regulator will freeze. It is dependent upon many factors including depth, lung volume, breathing rate, how the regulator is dove and dew point of gas in cylinder. Two buddies diving the same model may have one diver's freeze while the other doesn't.
The Flight is sold around the globe. It is most popular in Europe where the European Union states that once it passes the standard EN250 norm, it is good for use in water down to 10C/50F. There is nothing magic about this number. It is where they chose to draw their line in the sand. Many divers have successfully dove the Flight in temps well below this.
To label the regulator as good for temps below 10C/50F, Apeks would have to pass the EN250 norm specific to coldwater. While it was their original intent to do this, they have since reversed course and decided to no longer pursue this testing and leave the Flight as it was meant to be - a travel regulator.

Yes, you can have your Flight with yoke connector converted to DIN by purchasing the DIN kit, p/n AP0371.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr.
Aqua Lung / Apeks U.S.

Back
Top Bottom