Apeks flight free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't lose your confidance in APEKS. While this regulator may have some issues that need to be worked out (I'm not sure and the only people you are hearing from are likely a smalle percentage that bought the flight) I have found my XTX50 is rock-solid in waters in the mid 30s. I personally had a free-flow on a Scuba Pro M25/350? I think that was the combo. We dive cold deep in MN and the LDS turned me onto APEKS. It said something that most of their instructors were using them. I just told them I didn't want anymore freeflows. I was going to buy the XTX200 but they said I really didn't even need that. He mentioned he had dove the XTX200 in Antarctica. My experience has been great. Probably 60 dives on the XTX50 this year and no sign of a freeflow.

Agree the XTX is a great reg, unfortunately the Flight is not an XTX. Good luck to those with Flight issues FWIW the AL Mikron is also very small and has proven to be very reliable. I was once upon a time considering the Flight but my old LDS strongly suggested the Mikron over the Flight he too complained about it being rather "touchy".

Since my last post I've brought my Apeks Flight reg in for service and have gone on two dive trips. I've added another 30 dives to the regs. No free flow. Back to being happy with them again! :)

Hi all.
My wife has had a set of Apex flights for 2 years now, we have had them back too the LDS 3 times now because of the small free flow problem. They have around 50 dives on them, so hardly used.
I asked the LDS for a reliable set of regs for travel and this is not them, I want to swap them for something that we can trust, not something that leaks air 50% of the time.
If apex has admitted there is an issue by releasing an upgraded diaphram, then what are the chances of been able too exchange these regs for say an xtx50. If not I think I will sell them and buy something different.

Please see my post above dated May 23rd, 2012. Apeks has acknowledged the situation and does have a solution in place. I recommend that you try this and get your confidence back with your Flight regulators.

Please see my post above dated May 23rd, 2012. Apeks has acknowledged the situation and does have a solution in place. I recommend that you try this and get your confidence back with your Flight regulators.
Thank you for the reply, regs are at the LDS now, rang them back too share this post, they said thank you.
So we shall see, off too Sipadan in three weeks, I hope they work properly, because it's their 3rd and final chance!!! Two holidays with bad regs already, not good.

I am a bit surprised with all the bad reviews tbh, i have also heard from my LDS about people returning them for this problem. I must have been very lucky to grab myself a set that works. Sure, it has happened that it has free flown a couple of times, but facing the reg down solves the problem every time. I've also noticed that it is more sensitive as soon as you approach colder waters. With colder i mean 16-19 degrees celsius, so that you don't think that i go ice diving with this setup :).

Just for clarification: It has never free flown unprovoked, it has always been because of a sturdy movement, jump off boat etc etc.

Would like to sort some facts out. My interest is that I bought an Apeks Flight a couple of months ago. Apeks had a good reputation and I did not expect any problems. I haven't dived on it yet and its first outing will be in the pool. I bought it for travelling and it will be used in relatively warm water in SE Asia. And I don't want any problems whilst I am out there.

So - it seems that Apeks have acknowledged a problem and there is a "fix" seat. Will it cost me to take the brand new reg to my service guy (who is an Apeks fan) to have it modified. (Note - I didn't buy the reg from him in the first place)

But - if Apeks have acknowledged the problem - will my new reg have the new seat anyway? If so, how can I tell? If it requires a new seat - I have all the documentation, can I contact Apeks myself and ask them to send me the the fix-kit?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Looks like I'm going too be let down by Apeks and my LDS again.
After no phone call for a week, I rang the LDS too find out what was going on, at first they couldn't even find my regs, 10mins later they ring back and say that they are next on the to do list, WTF. So ask to speak too boss, he finds regs in pieces and says they are awaiting parts, OK. Next day get call, no parts in Australia, but 4 new HP seats in New Zealand. May be able to get them by the 14th of Feb, we fly too Sipadan on the 17th, so not looking good. LDS boss says he will loan a set of hire regs for trip if not fixed, great yeah that's why I paid a $800 for new Apeks regs so I can use hire gear on a $12000 holiday again. Third holiday ruined by Apeks :depressed: Not happy Jan.

tphillip - I wonder ifyou can help.
My post 5 Feb 13 - do you have any further information? Your post of 23 May was helpful, but I need to know if my recent purchase would have been already fitted with the improvement.
I've posted this rather than PM because your answer could make a difference to many people who are considering buying, or have bought the Flight.
Thanks.

We welcome the post. Thanks for inquiring. If your Flight has a serial # greater than 1112 0269 then you have the latest configuration including the new 2nd stage seat. If you have a lower serial number and you had the annual service performed, you should also be up-to-date. As always, if you are experiencing any issues, please take the regulator to your local dive store and get it checked. Confirm with them that they are installing the dedicated Flight 2nd stg service kit which includes the latest seat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom