Apeks FSR first stage, when did they update it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why Apeks took so long to decide both FSR/FST would require the 5th port which has been available on DST for very long time?

Why Apeks took so long to decide both FSR/FST would require the 5th port which has been available on DST for very long time?
I don't think you're going to get an actual answer here, just speculation and guesswork.

And my speculation is that they thought they had their bases covered with other 1st stages, and that the XTX/ATX 200/100 regulators would appeal to a different customer segment that would rarely be interested in that feature. But once an item hits the market place, it is not uncommon to find out that your customer is telling you something different from what you expected.

I don't think you're going to get an actual answer here, just speculation and guesswork.

And my speculation is that they thought they had their bases covered with other 1st stages, and that the XTX/ATX 200/100 regulators would appeal to a different customer segment that would rarely be interested in that feature. But once an item hits the market place, it is not uncommon to find out that your customer is telling you something different from what you expected.
I have no idea which one appeared first FST or DST.
Before the appearance of FSR, FST was Apeks flagship and even then it was NOT compatible with the 5th port.

Mystery solved, if you look at the two photos the difference is clear, the older FSR has only 1 hole leading to the balance chamber but the newest FSR has 4. So the response JackD got from Apeks looks to be correct, flow rate would (?) be affected, the effect of this in reality, and under what conditions this would become apparent, I've no idea, heavy load (?) greater depths (?). Not recommended.

A367D748-F7E8-44EE-8AC4-9DE0CA6D36E8.png
BB661924-397D-42C6-8172-67362359B8DA.png

Re the DST I can't be sure from pictures alone but it "looks" like older version and newer version both have the same 3 holes leading to balance chamber. First photo is from DST 5th port instructions, second picture from old DST manual.

47103AFF-DDB2-4B15-803B-67E02C69D98E.png
BA5B0EC0-39FD-4D81-B0C4-67AB67FEB615.png

Cheers mate.
Thank you very much for the effort.
How was the diving? Your mind was probably in somewhere else ie. work bench.

Apeks should make the 5th port as a standard in all their latest DST, FSR and FST models.

Cheers mate.
Thank you very much for the effort.
How was the diving? Your mind was probably in somewhere else ie. work bench.

Apeks should make the 5th port as a standard in all their latest DST, FSR and FST models.

My local average viz is 0-3, there's a typhoon approaching which positively affected viz for a change, today was a whopping 10m plus, perhaps the best conditions this year to date.

Back
Top Bottom