Apeks FSR vs. DS4/DST for twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typhon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

What is your opinion on Apeks first stages for twin tanks, especially regarding hose routing ? In any case I suppose the fifth port setup is objectively better, so let's consider FST/DS4/DST with the fifth port option and forget about money for the sake of the argument.

Thanks for your answers.

I don't think you can put the 5th port on DS4.
As far as I know only the FSR has the removable ARCAP valve seat. This feature is not really important if you look after the reg properly. But if the valve seat is damaged eg corrosion because of sea water intrusion or whatever, you might need to replace the body. But for FSR, you simply buy the ARCAP valve seat instead of a new body.
So if money is no objection, I would go for FSR.

BTW, I believe only the latest FSR and FST are 5th port compatible. It used to be the sole domain for DST for many many years!

Last edited:
Central's is correct. You cannot put a 5th port on a DS4, only post 2013 FSR, FST and DST. The replaceable crown is only an option on the FSR. I don't dive twins but if I did I'd likely use FSRs with 5th port.

the replaceable crown is only a benefit if you are DIYing service and botch it. If you pay to have it serviced and they botch it, then you get a new first stage body, pretty simple.

FSR has a weird HP port location for use in doubles because it is angled towards the "bottom port" location so the HP hose gets bent a bit funny when angled so you can have the octo hose used properly.
FST has better hose routing than the FSR for doubles, but really no better than the DST which offers you the most versatility. It has the added benefit of the swivel which is nice when you actually have to donate the long hose as well as minimizing bending against the ferrules on the hoses which are their most common failure location

For my twinset, currently using DST with 5th port (Agree with tbone on this option). Looking for a second set and am considering the Apeks Tec 3, which is another option for you.

Thanks for all answers. How does the Tec 3 compare with the other models ? Also, tbone spoke about FST: what could you say about it ? It seems like FST would be the way to go but I'm trying to get a broad view here before actually deciding.

Tec 3 is built specifically for doubles. It has 3 low pressure ports so if using on a single rig with a drysuit, would be short one port (2 for regs, 1 for low pressure inflator hose, none for drysuit). Apparently it rocks for doubles specific set up.

Thanks ! And what about the MTX-R first stage ? I didn't consider it at first since it appears to be specifically built for really-cold waters, which I don't dive, but for the sake of completeness I guess some educated opinion would still be nice to have.

Yes, MTX-R optimized for cold water (freezing) diving, with several components build to inhibit freezing. One of the more expensive Apeks regs, particularly if you need 2 first stages. Seems that the DST or TEC 3 would be a better choice for you given the type of diving you do (these latter two can also be used in (very) cold water diving.

the Tek3 is great for rebreathers, and some stage/deco bottles.... That's about it. For doubles it bends basically every hose somewhere it shouldn't be.
Long hose gets bent almost 90* in normal use to get around the tank crown, then 180* when donated
Wing inflator is bent 90* to go over to the side
Secondary is bent 90* to go to the side
Drysuit hose if used is bent almost 90 to get around the tank crown
SPG is bent almost 90 to get around the tank crown

The DST with 5th port just routes a LOT better than the Tek3. Every hose basically goes in the right direction.
This is a MK25 but you can see the principal. Everything just goes where it is supposed to
doubles-jpg.220490.jpg

This is the Tek3. You can see that every hose is bent, and fairly significantly. Hoses usually fail at the crimp, where is all the stress on these hoses? At the crimp.... No thank you. It looks snazzy on their stock pics where everything goes straight down and a bp/w isn't mounted and the secondary and wing inflator hose aren't going where they are supposed to, but when you put it on a rig, it just isn't nearly as good as the DST.
joes-doubles-apeks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom