Apeks Fusion KVR1 with aircore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The outer shell is a Kevlar blend? Is it totally stretchy like other Fusion suit skins? I've seen a few posts saying that the stretchy skin lets your thigh pockets totally sag if you put much weight in them. Does this suit do that?

If it's not a stretchy skin, what is the advantage of the suit over other suits that are a breathable tri-lam?

Also, my local shop became a Fourth Element dealer recently. I was talking to them about possibly getting the FE Argonaut Kevlar suit. They recommended against getting the Kevlar (which is breathable, by the way). They said that FE told them you have to REALLY soak the Kevlar in fresh water for hours after diving in salt water. Otherwise, eventually salt crystals form inside the Kevlar weave and eventually the crystals saw on the Kevlar fibers and gradually tear it up. They told me, "if you want to only use it in fresh water, it would be great. If you're going to use it for ocean diving, we would suggest the non-Kevlar version of the suit."

We sell them, not a lot of them but enough to have a bit of anecdotal data - the air core tends to carry odor a bit more than the old dry core. I cannot independently verify this however, as I have only dived the dry core.

I guess if it's your stink it is less offensive than community stink - so maybe not the best choice for the rental fleet?

Cheers,
TB

The Kevlar skin is stretchy, not as much as the bullet but it does have some give to it.

It does sound like an interesting suit. But with all the issues other manufacturers have had with their breathable suits I would be hesitant to be a tester for Aqualung's newest technology.

I bought a KVR1 on December 2017 for ~USD 1.900 from Simplyscuba.
So far I had over 10 dives in cold water (7-9 degrees Celsius) and I am honestly happy with it.
Initially, donning was quite a challenge but once you get familiar it's easy.
The Overall quality of the suit is excellent, Si-Tech seals, Kevlar blended skin which is very durable, big pockets and some extra rubber material on the forearms, knees and butt.

I am using a Fusion Polartec 200 Fleece and Odlo base layer for thermal protection on my 7-9 degrees dives.

What I am not really happy about the KVR1 is the amount of time it takes to get it dry.
It takes at least 24 hours to get it close to be fully dry.

At the moment, the only two suggestions I give are:
1- Do not get the Apeks 7mm dry hood. The construction shape is weird.
2- If you want to install a DryGlove system, I strongly suggest you to not get the ANTARES system. I have found the Waterproof ULTIMA ring system to be better.

At your disposal if you need pictures or further info regarding the KVR1 Drysuit.

About a year or so ago the AL rep gave us a demo on the new aircore and some of the features in the now branded AL fusion suits. So, from the rep and my observations, drycore is a huge improvement, allows suit to breathe and almost totally eliminates overheating, Kevlar skin is about as bulletproof as you can get, redesigned Velcro/zippers et al, make don/doff and skin swaps much more manageable. I suggested that it come with a defibrillator to handle the enevitable heart attack when you see the price. Top of the line suit? Sure......would I buy one? After winning the lottery, definitely. Until then I'll consider the aircore, not so much the Kevlar.
How much does it cost from where you are? In Ireland, as were beside UK it’s around 1700-2000€.
I mean it’s too expensive for me as a newbie but if you were a serious technical diver, how is it expensive? It’s supposedly a bullet proof design and they are trying to get them to be used by the military

How much does it cost from where you are? In Ireland, as were beside UK it’s around 1700-2000€.
I mean it’s too expensive for me as a newbie but if you were a serious technical diver, how is it expensive? It’s supposedly a bullet proof design and they are trying to get them to be used by the military
Even with my discount it comes in at $2500.....not at the far end of drysuits but double what I pay for a Bullet suit. I’m a technical diver and instructor and it’s features haven’t justified the expense when compared to the bullet or other suits.

Even with my discount it comes in at $2500.....not at the far end of drysuits but double what I pay for a Bullet suit. I’m a technical diver and instructor and it’s features haven’t justified the expense when compared to the bullet or other suits.

Hit me up Jay, I got you covered :wink:

Excellent suit! I did a lot of testing on the Air Cores before they were released, and it's extremely comfortable The Kevlar skin is excellent for abrasion resistance, and the skin isn't too tight like the others. It fits and looks great when it's on. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the money. The Breathable suit is extremely durable, and lightweight, and something you can wear all day without overheating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom