Apeks inflation valve o rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James S

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having a devil of a time finding out what size o rings that are needed to service an Apeks dry suit inflation valve. I have found the Apeks part numbers but they do not help at the hardware store! I have found dozens of threads all all around the internet regarding every aspect of the valve, except the sizes! Does anyone here happen to know? Thanks!
\
James

Have you tried Apeks's customer service in the UK....They've always been quick to respond to my e-mails when I had a question......

I could disassemble mine and measure them for if you like?

Hello James S,

Someone here should know the correct o-ring sizes and will post them making the following garbage moot.

I probably don't need to tell you it's unwise to measure an old o-ring in order to find the size needed. However, you should be able to determine the correct size by measuring the groove outside diameter (O.D.)of the part you want to install an o-ring on. Note that o-rings should be slightly stretched (1-5% with 2% being recommended) Therefore, after you measure the groove, multiply by 0.98 to find the inside diameter (I.D.) of the o-ring you need. Almost all scuba o-rings have a cross section (c.s.) of 1/16" (1.78mm) so any o-ring with a "0" after the dash will have a c.s. of 1/16 (1.78mm) and that makes finding the correct seal pretty simple.

For instance, if you measure the button stem groove and get a dimension: 0.116 multiply by 0.98 to get the I.D. 0.11368 you need and find the closest match with a dash number of "0" at a site like www.oringsusa.com/html/size_chart.html and you come up with a -006.

The Usual Suspects like to debate over the o-ring material, but I think most of us agree you cannot go wrong with Viton or EPDM. For hardness: in low pressure applications 70-75 is fine; but for high pressure go with 90.

We've had very good service from Precision Associates, Inc. Their site has a handy tool where you can enter the dimensions of the o-ring needed and they'll have a product code for it.
http://catalog.precisionassoc.com/a...ociates-inc-o-rings/special-size-o-rings-1083
?

You can also get o-rings from McMaster-Carr the diver's online hardware store:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9263k546/=b5zwwm

Couv

Thanks for the responses guys, you are quick.

Gsk3, I read the thread, lots of good info there, thanks.

J2S, I'll drop them a note today, I just figured they would tell me to go to a dealer/tech or tell me to buy a service kit.

KNOWONW, I appreaceate the offer but don't bother, must be an easyer way.

COUV, great info thanks. I am at work and do not calipers with me and was hopping to just pick up some o rings on the way home. I am very lucky to have the west coast McMaster Carr warehouse with a will call window down the street from my home, it comes in very handy.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
\
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom