Apeks MTX-R Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is all that is needed to add the adjustment knob to the mtx-r. I'm certain I'm going to tinker with them and see if there's any room left for improvement. Plus orings..

Ap6577 adjustment knob

Ap6578 spring adjuster inside plug to knob

Ap5830 plug

I think this is all that is needed to add the adjustment knob to the mtx-r. I'm certain I'm going to tinker with them and see if there's any room left for improvement. Plus orings..

Ap6577 adjustment knob

Ap5830 plug
Lose the plug. It just traps water.

Ap6577 adjustment knob

Ap5830 plug

Agree, this, plus Orings in the service kit, is what's needed to convert ATX/XTX40 to 50.

@Pao In over 10 years the plug has never caused me an issue by trapping water. Have you encountered an issue? Cheers.

Agree, this, plus Orings in the service kit, is what's needed to convert ATX/XTX40 to 50.

@Pao In over 10 years the plug has never caused me an issue by trapping water. Have you encountered an issue? Cheers.

Going a little OT here:

I used to leave them be, then I decided to pull out the cap a few days after hanging the reg to dry. There was some seawater trapped under the cap. I also noticed that I was getting more verdigris at service time inside the adjuster knob with the "capped" regs compared to my old XTX 100 which I lost the cap for. So, I just took them all out :).
It's much worse for HOG's where there is an actual cavity covered by just a thick "sticker", I also took all of them out.

Another place which seems to "ooze" salty water (yes, I tasted it) is between the end of the air barrel and the spring adjuster. The problem with this is that there is a "natural" space between the inside end of the spring adjuster and the air barrel that can trap seawater, so I just screw it all the way in and try to flush it using a water pick, rinse, then repeat :) . I also use a camera lens blower to flush out the water from those nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
  • Simple to use with no dive adjustment controls and reduced chance of free flow occurrence, pre-settable cracking effort or venturi control by an Apeksapproved qualified technician
Sounds like there is room to play

20170417_210516.png

More accurate list per my sales rep today. Ordered a ton of stuff for myself hahahaha

How does the MTX-R compare to the Apeks TEK3s with XTX50 or Apeks DST with XTX50?
- ease of breathing
- weight
- size
- hose routing for back mounted doubles

Ease of breathing I didn't notice any difference, but really almost all of those breathing results require a machine to actually demonstrate a difference. We're generally not perceptible enough to notice unless it's an extreme difference.

I don't know the weight difference, but the MTX-R is big and chunky. By feel it was heavier, but I haven't had one in my hands in probably 8 months. I seem to remember it being a noticeable difference, but Apeks doesn't list the weight online for comparison so I wouldn't be able to give you a definitive answer other than, "I remember it being heavier."

The Tek3 is basically just a DS4 except all the ports are on one side, so physically it is similar in size. The DST is just a DS4 with a turret swivel, so closer in length to the MTX-R. The MTX-R is definitely bigger in physical size than either..

I don't mind the bending of hoses with the Tek3's, I replace all my hoses regularly as I treat them as consumable items. I like that their natural position out of the regulator is down. The natural position of the hoses out of the MTX-R is out. That bugs me, but that's probably more of a personal thing than anything. I'm not sure that it really makes a difference. Personally I think the DST with a 5th port has the best hose routing, if that gives you an idea of my preference.

Really, I think the Tek3's shine on a rebreather. I think the DST's with 5th port are the best for backmounted twins or sidemount. We had some MTX-R's at work and I just didn't really care for them. That being said, we didn't have a need for super cold water performance, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom