Apeks MTX-R Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Pao or @admikar , can you post a pic of this for @DanaHunt ? If not, I'll try to find one of mine and open it up to show the 3-5 degree movement. It's enough to measurably change the friction component of the lever's movement against the diaphragm disc.
This is a real issue, and one that affects non-service-tech divers who just happen to change the hoses on their regs, with or without a torque wrench. HOG's initial model did the same, and I think it's only fair for us to be honest about this, as much as Apeks gets rave reviews otherwise.

Mine are all nice and straight right now. I can post a pic later when the Monsoon season peaks and I start servicing some of my 2nd stages.

I just pulled the cover off a new XTX50 and although it does twist, it is much less than an XTX200 I have, both new stock. Weird. In photos the tilt barely shows up. I'll pull the 200 apart. Perhaps they have done something about it on the quiet.

Last edited:
As a side note, people say, including myself, that the only differences beteeen the 50-100-200 ate cosmetic. Well, that's not strictly true as I discovered. The diaphragm covers are not the same. The chrome one on the 50 is noticeably thicker than the black one on the 200. If you swap the covers over it takes a frightening amount of force, not recommended, to get the 200 face plate to center.

I'm starting to wonder if there have in fact been some mid production tweaks/changes made?

I'm starting to wonder if there have in fact been some mid production tweaks/changes made?

Do you think any of these changes would affect performance?

@Pao or @admikar , can you post a pic of this for @DanaHunt ? If not, I'll try to find one of mine and open it up to show the 3-5 degree movement. It's enough to measurably change the friction component of the lever's movement against the diaphragm disc.
This is a real issue, and one that affects non-service-tech divers who just happen to change the hoses on their regs, with or without a torque wrench. HOG's initial model did the same, and I think it's only fair for us to be honest about this, as much as Apeks gets rave reviews otherwise.
Picture of what? Out of plane alignment? For me, it only happens when tightening up lock nut. I torque it up to spec then just back of a little to level the lever. When attaching a hose I always use two adjustable wrenches to avoid that issue. If I ever feel up for it,I might make a video of the whole process.

Use of two spanners is the only way.
After all these years Apeks still hasn't come out with an solution!!!!

Picture of what? Out of plane alignment? For me, it only happens when tightening up lock nut. I torque it up to spec then just back of a little to level the lever. When attaching a hose I always use two adjustable wrenches to avoid that issue. If I ever feel up for it,I might make a video of the whole process.

Currently my mtx cannot turn when tightening the lock nut. Its locked in there pretty good on this one.

Last edited:
Only time will tell.
My TX5(1998) didn't have the problem at first but eventually.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom