Apeks Octo Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought an Apeks first and second stage (XTX50), but I need to get an octo to go with it. I am a warm water diver, recreational depth so I don't need a high end octo. I fly to most of my dives since I live in land and somewhere that is mostly too cold to dive for my tastes. Looking at either the Egress or ATX40. Thoughts?

I just added an Egress to my kit, liking the profile and flexible orientation. No complaints.....

@Magnus Lundstedt -Is there a reason other than consistency that you would suggest the same. It's like $85 more for the xtx50, so trying to justify that cost

@rhwestfall is the Egress solid construction, my limited experience, is that some of these bottom line octos aren't solid. But I am attracted to the profile and flexible orientation of the Egress.

ATX-40 is more than good enough as an octopus. The only difference between 40 and 50 is the adjusting screw and unless you really want the hose attach to the left side of the 2nd stage, there is absolutely no point to buy XTX.

@rhwestfall is the Egress solid construction, my limited experience, is that some of these bottom line octos aren't solid. But I am attracted to the profile and flexible orientation of the Egress.

By no means is it as durable as my favorite (all metal ScubaPro 109/156), but it certainly is better than the Oceanic Swivel 180 it replaced (broken by two different people each time it was used).... Perfectly fine recreational regulator.

Time will tell..... I only have a week of diving on it.

I just bought an Apeks first and second stage (XTX50), but I need to get an octo to go with it. I am a warm water diver, recreational depth so I don't need a high end octo. I fly to most of my dives since I live in land and somewhere that is mostly too cold to dive for my tastes. Looking at either the Egress or ATX40. Thoughts?

I have both 40's and 50's. The ONLY functional difference is the user adjustable venturi. They breathe exactly the same.

A 40 would be perfectly fine as a safe second, and it meets my criteria which is that it needs to be as good as your primary - when you need it, you don't want a poor breather. Part deux is that I would not donate a reg I would not be willing to breathe myself.

Over 250 dives on the 40s as primary, over 50 on the 50s.

I have both 40's and 50's. The ONLY functional difference is the user adjustable venturi. They breathe exactly the same.

I think you mean the adjustment screw knob, not the Venturi. Both models have the Venturi switch.

@Magnus Lundstedt -Is there a reason other than consistency that you would suggest the same. It's like $85 more for the xtx50, so trying to justify that cost

When needed, you like the backup to be as good as your primary, it is when the **** hits the fan you like to have good equipment.

$$$ spent do not necessarily equate to better (sometimes yes, sometimes no).....

Back
Top Bottom