Apeks Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juris Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm getting set to buy my first reg/octo setup and could use your advice.

Like most people who are in the market for new dive gear, I read all the reg reviews I could find and talked with a couple local dive shops and to my dive buddies and instructors, but I was still pretty clueless. Next, I borrowed/breathed from several different regs at different depths and in different positions (inverted, etc.), but still couldn't decide what setup to buy and why. I still needed more information. Then, about a month ago, I found this board. After reading your discussions about regs, I feel much more confident and informed, and I've finally decided on Apeks! So, thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to those people who asked regulator questions. Your experience and advice is invaluable and appreciated.

I need your help because even after reading all the previous threads regarding which Apeks reg to buy, I still have several unanswered questions about the ATX 200, the ATX 100/TX 100, and the ATX 50 DS4 combo.

My first question is whether anybody has noticed any differences between the ATX 200, ATX 100/TX 100, and ATX 50 DS4 with respect to breatheability under various conditions, at greater depths, while inverted, etc. From what I remember reading, nobody (except a machine) can tell the difference. If that's true, then which Apeks reg to buy appears to depend on which first stage is right for you.

As far as first stage quality goes, the TX 100 and DS4 both are proven. As everyone knows, the TX 100 is ranked #1 by Rodale's and holds the deep dive record. I don't know much about the quality characteristics of the DS4, but it's definitely the favorite amongst technical divers, so I assume it's as good as the TX 100 (could anybody verify this?). The ATX 200 first stage is totally redesigned and has no track record. Even so, it is hard to believe that Apeks would risk its reputation and its customer's lives by designing an inferior first stage and marketing it as their "best ever." Hence, quality is probably a non-issue with any of the first stages I’m considering. Do you agree?

In addition to quality concerns, it looks like what regulator to buy also requires a consideration of whether I plan to do technical diving. Because facing new challenges is part of why I love this sport, technical diving may be in my future. Therefore, it would seem ideal to buy a reg that can be used for all types of diving, from rec to tec. Based on what's been said in previous threads, the DS4 looks like its almost everyone's favorite because it has standard 3/8" ports and no upsweep versus the 1/2" port and 20% upsweep of the TX 100 (these features of the DS4 apparently make it better for doubles). (I think the ATX 200 has the 1/2" port and upsweep also. Can anyone confirm this?). Are there any divers out there that prefer the ATX 200 first stage over the DS4? What about the ATX 200 first stage versus the ATX 100 first stage (the TX100)? If you knew that you weren’t going to be doing any technical diving, which of the three first stages would you choose?

In previous posts, while some people said that they'd buy the ATX 50 DS4 because the DS4 is a better first stage for technical diving, others said that the ATX 200 and 100 are simply not worth the extra money. With respect to the money issue, the difference in price at simplyscuba.com between the ATX 200 ($410.38) and ATX 100/TX 100 ($400.44) is only $10. The ATX 50 DS4 combo sells for $325.54 (including hoses, which for this combo you've got to buy separately). So we're not talking a whole lot of savings to go with the ATX 50 over the ATX 200 or 100. These prices are even reduced further after VAT and discounts (if any) are subtracted. (Diveinn.com has similar prices).

Given that the difference in price is relatively minor, would anyone choose the ATX 50 DS4 over the ATX 100/TX 100 and the "top of the line" and "best ever" ATX 200? If so, why? On the other hand, if you'd buy the ATX 200 no matter what, what are your reasons?

Finally, does which reg YOU would buy depend at all on the type of valve? For example, for those of you who would buy the ATX 50 DS4 over either the ATX 200 or ATX 100, if DIN was not available, would you change your mind?

Phew! That was a long first post.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dan :confused:

Trust the force, Luke.

Great questions that reveal a very good grasp of the issues and concerns surrounding Apex regs! You wouldn't have studied this much if you were the type that was inclined to take the advice of some twit posting on an internet board, so my advice is:

Just Do It

Remember, the unexamined life may not be worth living, but the overexamined life is unlived.:)

I have a few Apex regs (TX100, mostly) and have nothing negative to report.

Reefraff,

I just went through THE EXACT SAME process and thought wavelength that you did in my quest for my first regulator. Actually scary how similar your rationalizations are. Trusting the force is not a bad idea because all these regs by Apeks are top notch quality. I hummed and hawed and finally decided to go with "the best". I would always be thinink to myself, "Should have bucked up the extra bit and got the ATX 200. That's what I went with the ATX 200 first and second stage as my primary reguator and the T20 as my octopus. Why? Why not. I was getting a good price on both and "Just Did It".

I used them yesterday on two dives to depths of 75 feet and they were fantastic. No complaints.

I can't comment on the hosing configuarations because I am still a relativley new diver and that doesn't mean much to me yet. Look to the elders for this advice.

I will give you one piece of advice. There is a difference in the second stage properties of both regs. I used the T20 on surfacing to try out the difference between the smaller "AT" second stage and the original "T" size second stage. I noticed a difference in feel and bubbles. Totally personal preference. The new smaller one feels great in the mouth and is light while the T series is noticabley bigger with a very noticably wider exhaust tee dispersing the bubbles. I encourage you to try out these different second stages for your presonal preference. Match them with the first stage of your choice. (200, 100, 50) Bottom line you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps a bit...

Can't go wrong with an APEKS... I did a few dives last week with a Guy with the new ATX200. He claims they breathe a little better when going deep... over 130' than the older TX100... I don't know, I use the ATX50 with DST setup and love it. It performs exactly the same as the TX100 that I used for quite some time.

You can get the CTX100 from Leisurepro.com for 299. It is the German release of the ATX 100 (identical), or get the TX100 for about 320.
Lloyd

Hi Dan

First of all: all the regs you mentioned are good. So what ever you buy you are ok.

Second: i have two apeks atx200's. With my doubles and they are quite easy to route. I find it a little easier and neater then the DS4's. Actually it is the same as the (a)tx100 but instead the membrane (cold water sealing) is turned inside.
Check this site for the tx100 configuration:

http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equipmentimages.htm

The apeks atx200 HAS a real increased breathing performance! You can notice this when you are diving with AIR deeper then 20 meters.

If you swap regs at 20 / 30meters (100 feet?) from Apeks tx50(like i did) to the Apeks 200 you will notice the difference!

When you are using Helium though you really wont need this performance, because as you know Helium is far more lighter.

ATX200 is a redisgned model but the technology is almost the same as the atx100. So they are both very reliable!

The tx100 had two minor "problems"(i personally though dont think it is a real problem):

1->the HP port had some problem. (had to do with salt water diving and the damage that it can bring on your HP port in time if you dont wash your reg every time in a correct way, but you cant notice this really even not after a couple of hundred dives, so it is not a real problem. But now they made the ATX200 replaceble HP port. For more info you have to contact Apeks and ask for Mr. Landon because this is something i heard and never exprienced my self).

2--> When routing the hoses the membrane is turend outside. Again i dont think this is a problem but some people dont like this and choose for this reason for the DS4.

As far as tech divnig: If you are going for tech diving you can choose any apeks i think. But the DS4 is the proven reliability. Because of its simple and reliable design and its standard ports.

As soon as i get a digital camera i will make pictures of my complete rig. with my doubles. So that you can see routing the hoses with the Apeks Atx200's are really no big deal.

About the second stages: i guess you are also diving just recreational? Go for the smaller atx versions! If you are going for tech diving: the bigger second is SLIGHTLY better i HEARD! Never been to that kinda depths! (talking about 60 Meters+! it is called 200feet is it not in USA?)

Advise: if you have the money (as you mentioned there are no real big differences) go for the Apeks Atx200 otherwise go for the Atx100 or the DS4.

But either way you are making a excellent choice.
Hope this helped you.

Good diving, Xerxes

Thanks to everybody who answered! I'm leaning toward the 200 . . .

Reefraff, that was some funny sh*t. Noshow, plz let me know what you think of your setup as you continue to dive with it. Xerxes, would love to see the pics.

Hasta for now.

Awesome questions, good answers

There is no reason not to buy the atx 200...except for price.

The DS4 is the best value in a 1st stage.
Don't be fooled by the small size of the 200, it's heavy...

I prefer the DS4 for the turret...esp for some technical diving with sidemounts. But if you do go techie, you will be buying more regs. Spring for the 200 and use it as your primary.

Hose routing? Only regs which I have problems with are big clunky USDs and Mares. as far as hoses, anyway.

Have fun!

Yep, the answers were great. But after reading this board for awhile now, I wouldn't expect anything less. This board is just awesome!

Quick update: I finally "just did it" and bought an ATX 50 second and DS4 first (DIN) along with an ATX 40 octo from simplyscuba (I also bought a Cobra). I just got notification tonight that all my gear is "in stock" and "awaiting despatch." I'm totally stoked to be getting this gear and at a great price. Now I'll have to make a run to my LDS and buy a tank. It's either an HP 100 or LP 95. I'm leaning towards the HP 100 because my shop gives great fills, I do alot of beach diving (less weight to lug around), and the fill for the first (deepest) dive from a boat will be a fill from my LDS. Even if I can only get 3000 psi from the boat for my subsequent dives, that should leave me with around 86 cu ft of air, which should be enough to keep up with the AL80s :)

Oh ya, then there's the $425 I gotta come up with for LA County's Advanced Diver Program that starts in July. Woohoo! It's gonna be a great summer.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom