Apeks regs for doubles besides the Tek3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know the Tek3 is specifically made for doubles. I'm not sure I like the hose routing on it though. Seems like you have some sharp angles.

Another downside with the Tek3 is I'm not sure how useful it besides backmount doubles. I don't know if I can repurpose it later.

I know the FSR and DST can have a 5th port, which offers different routing options than with the Tek3. Maybe other first stages too?

Apeks is not sold near me, so I can't pop into my local shop and ask.

Opinions ?

My personal view:
1. Stay well clear from Tek 3.
2. FSR.
Both regs with the soft environmental seal facing upward.
Left post: HP hose for spg and inside LP port for octopus.
Right post: Inside LP port for power inflator. 5th port for long hose which is straight down.

DST for deco bottles because of the turret.

So my initial plan was to go for doubles, and to use FSR's since I already had one.
But unfortunatly I've started developing back pain and back issues, and lugging a double steel w/ plate and weights for cold water diving is not as fun as it sounds.

So I decided to slowly transition to sidemount.

Here lies the problem with the FSR. Although an awesome reg, it's only meant to be backmount.

So I'd suggest going for DST, since you gan the flexibility of a turret for any future changes.
and 5th port is a must!

To my mind DST with 5th. port is the most versatile and works for backmount singles, backmount doubles, sidemount and stage.

Apeks DST with 5th ports have very clean routing as others have mentioned. I have the Apeks TEK3s and have to replace a hose or two every year because of the weird angles. Another option I wouldn't mind having would be the new XDeep NX700 regs which have very clean routing as well too. They have a lockable rotating turret which is a neat future.

For balance, the Tek3s are nice, but not nice enough to buy new. They do come up second-hand and are excellent regs for backmount twins.

The DS4s work well enough.

DSTs, especially with the 5th port are very good. These then make excellent sidemount regs when you've had enough of backmount. DSTs are also my favourite deco stage regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom