Apeks RK3 HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had issues with their RK3 HD cracking? I have dove these 6 total times with 4 Dutch Springs and 2 boat dives climbing stairs. Would you still dive them?
IMG_2902.jpg

6 total dives? I’d write the company. If they won’t replace the fin, I’d go buy a pair from someone else.

I had a fin break (different company) after 19 dives while on a vacation. I had to run out and buy replacement fins without doing sufficient research so that I could dive the following day. I ended up not liking them in short order, so that was essentially $140 down the toilet.

If that fin looks like that now, I’d go ahead and replace it. Better to do it now when you aren’t rushed and can make an informed purchase.

I have got a pair that I have used for about 50 dives. No cracks so far but I did notice that they seem to get quite a bit of superficial scratches. Other than that, I kind of like them. Just out of curiosity, since you said you did two boat dives climbing stairs, did you climb the boat stairs with the fins on?

I am not an expert, but it may be possible that climbing with the fins bent them against the boat and caused the crack. Just a theory. The place of the crack seems compatible with this explanation.

Has anyone had issues with their RK3 HD cracking? I have dove these 6 total times with 4 Dutch Springs and 2 boat dives climbing stairs. Would you still dive them? View attachment 620014
Hello. I would say, Impossible... from a normal diving standpoint.
Sikorsky helicopter, maybe?
I would suggest, staying off the bottom.
Cheers.

You could still force bend the fin against a step, pretty easy to do climbing in full gear. Other than that it is either a manufacturing defect or a hit on something pretty sharp and strong while swimming on the bottom, as suggested by Boston Breakwater. The fin in the pic does have a lot of scratches, for something only used six times. It would be interesting to know what Apeks says, if you send back the fins.

that doesnt look like a "crack"....that looks like a "tear".

you can see the stress riser that caused the material to split, its the little dark patch where material is missing....im guessing you knicked it on something and then bent the fin.

based on the condition of the fin, im guessing its caused by something you did vs a manufacturing defect......those fins look pretty beat up for only 6 dives.

ive got close to 30 on mine and they still look like new, and im not particularly easy on my gear.

yes i would still dive them, and start taking better care of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom