Apeks SS backplate and Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanstalker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am quite new to this but I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on the following:

I am looking at buying a second hand Apeks SS backplate and harness. Cost is NZD$250 (approx US$170). Is this a good buy? This kind of system appears to be comparatively rare in NZ.

Cheers,

Hi! I'm assuming you are talking of the continuous weave "hog" harness.

IIRC the retail on the plate is near $250 CDN round here, and the harness, with all the hardware and D-rings, is around $100 CDN as well.

So if the webbing is in good shape, and it has all the drings and maybe some extras, and the plate is in god shape....and given what you say the availability is...

it might be a good deal!

I think it's a fair starting point for the seller, anyway.

If it includes a bladder it's a great deal.

VI
(I've been diving apeks SS plate, hog harness, and WTX 3 bladder for around 70 dives now.)

Make sure you find out if the webbing has been cut. If so, you might have to replace it. IMHO, $170 USD is a little high for used, but I see you're not in the US. If you ordered the same thing online, what would is cost you new?

I have the same rig and really like it. I use it for doubles(worthington 119's) and I also use it with an OMS single tank adapter using alum. 80's and LP steel 95's. Ive got probably 20 dive's with the doubles and 50 with the singles. I've got Apek single and double wings. I would get another and also suggest it to friends.

The Apeks ss bp is a great plate, well cut, well edged. Like stated hopefully the webbing hasnt been cut if it has ask how much. All is not lost webbing is not expensive. Try to stay with Apeks wing though, some wings dont fit. Apeks wings are a very great product. I use a wtx3 for singles and wtx4 for doubles. I am 5ft9in, 180lbs. These wings are perfect for me. I use the doubles unit with my drysuit and it's perfect there also as I need extra wieght.
Whether or not it's a great deal is your choice of thought, it's not full price and not free but in the middle. If they are not seen alot there it may be because of distance to manufacturer, not quality.
Personally I think it's an ok deal. good diving to ya. kev

Try to stay with Apeks wing though, some wings dont fit. Apeks wings are a very great product.

Hey Kev, I thought the hole spacing on wings was pretty much a standard. Now some bp's have extra holes so you can adjust a wing up or down, but I have never heard of a wing that wouldn't fit a backplate from another manufacturer.

Carrie - There is some variability in the spacing of the tank strap holes on the back plates from different manuf. This can cause issues.

Carrie - There is some variability in the spacing of the tank strap holes on the back plates from different manuf. This can cause issues.

Exactly what combination of bp/w have you seen not match together?

He Carrie! I bought the dss lcd 20 before I bought the plate. I then got the Apeks plate as I thought they all fit together too. Not. So I got a deal on the Apeks 32. It's great.
I now have a dss lcd20 that I might as well sell. I really like the Apeks stuff. I ended up buying the doubles wing by apeks too.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom