Apeks with damaged crown for learning on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my local marketplace someone's selling an Apeks T20 with a damaged crown for $10.

If I want a beater reg to learn and practice servicing on, would it be suitable? Or will IP creep render it worthless even for that purpose?

You can restore the crown.
Wrap Micromesh around the tip of a pencil and tape it in place. Polish from the inside of the orifice in grits of 3600, 4000, 6000 and 8000.
Do the same lightly to the top edge by wrapping a 3/16" strip over a pencil eraser.
Screenshot_20181031-114723_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181031-114736_Gallery.jpg

20190815_111907.jpg

Screenshot_20181031-115252_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181031-115307_Gallery.jpg

I once got a used Apeks first stage for free because it had IP creep problems. I used a different brand service kit, and if memory serves correct, a pencil eraser on the crown, and that reg has been working perfectly for....6 years now?

I don't really understand the concept of starting out on a "beater reg," because servicing regulators is pretty easy, if you damage something it will probably be the service kit items like an oring, not the regulator. I say buy it, polish the crown, service it, and then most likely you will be able to use it for diving.

Hey, for $10 the worst you can do is have something you can't hurt. It affords a lot of peace of mind simply knowing how to get them apart and back together properly when you first start out. Fixing it would be a bonus.
What he said. ^^^

Back
Top Bottom