Apeks xtx 200 vs xtx 50 setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, i recently purchased new an xtx 200 reg and a xtx 50 octopus. The technician set up the 50 as the secondary and 200 as octo. I'm wondering how to change these around. A couple of questions. From my reading, I gather that the 50 vs 200 are same beyond cosmetic (the 50 has a slightly different mouth piece, smaller exhaust diffuser, and some yellow molding on side). Is that assumption accurate (same internals)? Maybe I can leave them?

If switching, do I simply have to switch the regs on the hoses or would the technician have set up the two regs differently, beyond the venturi breathing assist valve, which I know I would have to change to "-" for the octo.

Thanks!

Yes, your assumptions are correct. The 50 and 200 are internally/functionally identical only differences are cosmetic. You can swap the exhaust Ts, put the wider one on your primary and smaller one on secondary. Just push the tab/button in the middle and each half will slide off. As far as needing them to be re tuned this is possible as the 50, being set up as Octo, may have been de tuned to prevent free flows. You may need to have the cracking effort adjusted, the 200 increased and the 50 decreased. Swap mouth pieces if you wish it's just a zip tie. None of this is hard to do but judging from your post this is all new to you so it's probably a good idea to get a shop to do it for you. It would only take them 10-20 minutes tops to do for you. Why do you want to "switch" them around? Good luck.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 09:31 AM ----------

You can replace all yellow parts with black XTX50 parts, any dealer can order them for you although being Apeks I imagine a little spendy. I did the same with a ATX40 octo I had, by the time I'd swapped yellow for black and added adjuster from the 50 it would have probably been cheaper to buy a new ATX50 but they are no longer available new so I had no choice.

Just swap the exhausts and the mouthpeices :) no need to tinker with the tuning.

Back
Top Bottom