Apeks XTX200 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am over spec'ing by buying a XTX200.

I've used Apeks as my regulator of choice for a number of years. They've performed exceptionally well at various depths & conditions including under Arctic ice without malfunction. Excellent choice!

Hmm, my XTX50 (2nd stage) has TWO adjustments; Venturi (dive/pre-dive), and Breathe Control. Also, 4 LP and 2 HP port. It's a newer one, if that matters ??
Mine was purchased a little more than a year ago but now that I look at it you are right. For some reason I've been thinking the Breath Control had something to do with the way you can change the hose to come in on the other side. Now I suppose someone will tell me that this reg doesn't do that. I'm confused but glad to hear I was wrong about the adjustment.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 12:10 PM ----------

They have 3 basic 1st stages styles.

The US1, DS1, US4, DS4, UST and DST.
The FST.
The FSR.

The main difference between the 1st stages is the number and position of the hose ports and with or without enviro seal.
The FST and FSR have a slightly higher flow rate than the others.

........all excellent regulators and amongst the most reliable ever made.
Excuse my ignorance but assuming I bought the typical 2012 APEKS XTX50 yoke first and second, where does that first stage fit into the three categories above?

Mine was purchased a little more than a year ago but now that I look at it you are right. For some reason I've been thinking the Breath Control had something to do with the way you can change the hose to come in on the other side. Now I suppose someone will tell me that this reg doesn't do that. I'm confused but glad to hear I was wrong about the adjustment.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 12:10 PM ----------

Excuse my ignorance but assuming I bought the typical 2012 APEKS XTX50 yoke first and second, where does that first stage fit into the three categories above?

I believe the current XTX50 First Stage, (2012 + ), is none of those listed. It's "all new", and doesn't have a model designation. At least, that's what I was told.

The TX, ATX or XTX refers to the 2nd stage......the internals are pretty much identical and the air barrel from the oldest TX range can be slid out of its case and put into the current XTX case.
The differences are the ATX and XTX have a slightly smaller diameter case and a "micro adjuster" was added to the inside of the adjustment knob. The XTX is also reversible and has a removable exhaust T.

Typically they are sold like this:
XTX20 with the US4..unsealed 4 port.
XTX40 with the DS4..dry sealed 4 port.
XTX50 with the DST..dry sealed turret.
XTX100 with the FST (flathead sealed????)
XTX200 with the FSR (flathead sealed removable?????)

For the Tech diver there's the Tek3 and U/DS1 regulators.

The second stages are almost identical. The 40 is without an adjuster or wide port (as standard), the 50/100/200 are identical (other than the decals).

As far as the 1st stages are concerned, the DS4 and DST have similar performance. The FSR and FST have identical performance but lab tests show they have a lower crack pressure (ease of breathing) than the DST and the DS4. The DST/DS4 perform adequately, but the FSR/FST designs are more ideally suited to deep diving or work conditions.

The service kits are identical. Performance increases are attributable to the change in internal design flow within the first stages.

......don't tell anyone but the U/DS4 actually flows slightly more than the turret version (depending on the orientation of the turret).

The AquaLung LX and Legend 2nd stages are also an Apeks design and used to use the same service kit as the Apeks 2nd stages.

Last edited:
The second stages are almost identical. The 40 is without an adjuster or wide port (as standard), the 50/100/200 are identical (other than the decals).

As far as the 1st stages are concerned, the DS4 and DST have similar performance. The FSR and FST have identical performance but lab tests show they have a lower crack pressure (ease of breathing) than the DST and the DS4. The DST/DS4 perform adequately, but the FSR/FST designs are more ideally suited to deep diving or work conditions.

The service kits are identical. Performance increases are attributable to the change in internal design flow within the first stages.

I read an article a while back and actually the FST was listed as performing slightly higher than the FSR. Go figure. I can try and dig out the article if anyone is interested.

FWIW I own an FSR/XTX50s and a DS4/ATX50s and cannot tell any difference between them. I do prefer the ATX 2nd stages though, feel more substantial and the FSR 1st stage, cleaner hose routing.

A couple people seem to be operating on old info. The second stage on the 2013 XTX50 is different to the XTX100/200. The 50 body is primarily composite while the 100/200 have some chrome. All specs seem pretty close though.

LOL Yep, the addition of some chrome detailing makes a major difference. Actually, chrome and not chrome covers will interchange.

Back
Top Bottom