Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redundancy is the name of the game for tec dive. So I won't be at all surprised that some tec divers would use both devices, AI and spg, for the same purpose. But it is NOT that common.
You have to ask SM tec divers on their configuration regarding AI/spg.

Yeah, so I guess I'd really like to have a reg with 2 hp ports just in case I eventually decide to get an AI computer. It's looking more and more like the DST is my prime option.

Yeah, so I guess I'd really like to have a reg with 2 hp ports just in case I eventually decide to get an AI computer. It's looking more and more like the DST is my prime option.

The DST is definitely more future proof than a DS4, especially with the 5th port. If you buy the XTX 50 regulators have the shop throw it in the deal.

I do really like the idea of being able to use an air interested computer at some point too. I guess most of you would tell me it's useless and I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade my computer anytime soon...I just want to future proof my purchase. That's why I was looking over the 1 hp ports DS4. Therepect of being able to add the 5th port eventually on the DST is nice too but it's at the cost of size/weight. I've always been of the mindset to pay the money up front and do it right.

Thanks that's really good to know. Can you also get service kits? Once I learn a bit more I might forgo the regular services and free parts and opt to start working on my own regulators. I'm very mechanically inclined so I'll want to learn about my regulator either way and from what I hear a well cared for apeks really doesn't need the service schedule they demand.

Yes, OEM tools too. Like I said, message me if the time comes.

Damn my indecisiveness. I'm still so tempted by the technology of the Zeagles. I'm very drawn in by the smaller size/weight of the second stages in an attempt to reduce jaw fatigue and improve overall comfort.

I'm also in a love/hate relationship with the seat saver concept. I HATE the idea of not being able to soak the regs unpressurized. I LOVE the idea of my seat lasting longer and being more consistent between servicing, even if stored a long time.

How much do either of these things even matter??

When I checked out the XTX50 in store it seemed very bull bulky and heavy but once underwater does it just disappear? Is the above water comparison of these regulators insignificant to underwater feel?

How much does the seat saver actually do?
If I follow Apeks service schedule will the seat stay pretty consistent throughout the years? Or are those seat savers actually a magical innovation like they make it out to be?

Scuba Doobie Do:

Personally, I own Scuba Pro MK25T/S620xTI and Atomic M1/Z2s. I also had the opportunity to use Apeks TX50 second stages paired with DS4 Stages for several months. Personally, I loved how Apeks regulators breathe, which I do believe is slightly lighter and a bit smoother than either my Scubapro or Atomic regulators but the difference is quite minor. While the Apeks second stages are far larger than the second stages on my Scubapro or Atomic regulators, I could not find fault with them. They were as comfortable and did not produce any jaw fatigue. I prefer the lever type venturi adjustment of the Apeks regulator over the knob of the Scubapro second stages, which I find difficult to rotate with my dry gloves.

As to the performance of the regulators over their service interval, I couldn't tell a difference in my Atomic regulators from day 1 to year 4 (yeah went over). I have owned the Scubapros for only one year, but so far they have not given me any cause for concern.

You're overthinking this. All the high end regulators breathe very well, to the point where the human has trouble discerning a difference in performance. Let the ergonomics, ease of service and aesthetics decide (of course it has to look good).

This:

"You're overthinking this. All the high end regulators breathe very well, to the point where the human has trouble discerning a difference in performance. Let the ergonomics, ease of service and aesthetics decide (of course it has to look good)."

I'll add mid level and even some "entry" level.

Apeks entry level:
US4 + 20 series 2nd stage.
Difference between US4 and DS4 is the environmental end cap. The rest is the same internally. Therefore US4 is NOT suitable for cold water diving.
Difference between 20 and the rest(40, 50, 100 and 200) is more or less the same ie. the gut is the same but the 20 is NOT equipped with an heat exchanger. Therefore making it unsuitable for cold water diving.

Cold water is below 10C by Apeks standard.

Damn my indecisiveness. I'm still so tempted by the technology of the Zeagles. I'm very drawn in by the smaller size/weight of the second stages in an attempt to reduce jaw fatigue and improve overall comfort.

I'm also in a love/hate relationship with the seat saver concept. I HATE the idea of not being able to soak the regs unpressurized. I LOVE the idea of my seat lasting longer and being more consistent between servicing, even if stored a long time.

How much do either of these things even matter??

When I checked out the XTX50 in store it seemed very bull bulky and heavy but once underwater does it just disappear? Is the above water comparison of these regulators insignificant to underwater feel?

How much does the seat saver actually do?
If I follow Apeks service schedule will the seat stay pretty consistent throughout the years? Or are those seat savers actually a magical innovation like they make it out to be?

I didn't take a look at the beginning of the thread again, but I kinda remember that you want to go into doubles so the Zeagle first stage is not the best for hose routing. So the Apeks with the 5th port wins here for both backmounted doubles and sidemount.

As far as second stage size goes there is little difference underwater. The Apeks second stages are larger, but they also hold more air so are more buoyant. I use the older TX series and the second stages are larger than the ATX or XYX series and there is no problem underwater with jaw fatigue. They feel no different than my Scubapro G500 (S600). What causes jaw fatigue is a poor mouthpiece, find one that you like, and the hose pulling on you, use the double braided hoses and a swivel if you have trouble.

The seat saver is more or less a gimmick. You can buy a new seat from NESS for $2.00. So what exactly are you saving?

The regulators you are talking about run $800 or so for both the first, second, and octo. So choose wisely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom