Apex XTX50 and XTX40 - which first stage to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiago Machado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I intend to buy my first regulators XTX50 and XTX 40 (alternative), since I got tired of rented products.

My doubt is on the first stage:

UST (i think also known as DST) UST

FSR (i think also known as XTX200) - FSR

I think the main differences is that the first has a turret for sidemount, and the second has sealed chamber (environmentally sealed) and is over balanced.

Are these two features of the XTX200 really important that justify 100/150€ difference? Are there any other features interesting I'm missing?

I dive with 15-19º temperatures and up to 30/35 meters.

Thanks in advance.

Do you need to HP ports? I believe one only has one.

DST. Good for everything not just SM.

The UST is the unsealed version. There is also a different version, the DST, that is sealed. In oother words, if you want a sealed regulator of that style, you can get it. So that doesn’t have to be a distinguishing feature of the FSR.

Personally, I prefer sealed regulators, not just because of cold water, but mainly because of it. If you’re never going to dive in water below, say, 10°C, it’s not a requirement, but it does keep silt and salt out of the inside of your regulator, which for me is a good idea.

The performance of the UST/DST will be just fine for you. Over balance, not over balance, heat exchangers, finish, etc.: those are all marketing things. With the type of diving you have described, you will not be able to tell the difference.

In my opinion, the difference comes down to two things: cost, and hose routing/flexibility (from the turret). If you do not see doubles and serious overhead training in your future within at least five years, then it doesn’t matter. If you do, then the turret has the advantage of allowing better hose routing and less strain on your hose in a long hose/restriction regulator donation situation.

ETA: The UST/DST and FSR both have two high-pressure ports, so I’m not sure what would make a difference there.

If you don't need the turret then look at the DS4 which is both balanced and sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom