• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Apex XTX50 and XTX40 - which first stage to choose?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by Tiago Machado, May 4, 2021.

1. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Bat sh.t crazy

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    "2) replaceable high pressure orifice vs its being part of the reg body."

I use FSRs because of this. The only Apeks first stage with replaceable crown, why? No idea. By the way, should you damage the crown in any other model, it's a pretty penny to replace the body.

2. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Bat sh.t crazy

...And I don't need a turret and do like 2 hp ports.

3. grf88

grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

The DS4 body is about $90USD in Europe so I guess you have to weigh the odds and compare to the difference in cost. I have several pretty old DS4's and there is no problems with the crown.

Cdncoldwater likes this.
  4. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Do you consider the O-ring on the turret (DST) to be a weak point at depth? I've seen the Scubapro MK25 O-ring on the turret and it's sturdy.

5. shurite7

shurite7 Dive Shop

I’ve service both the Mk25 and DST and the o-rings on the DST are fine.

Not too long ago I serviced a DST and found a shredded o-ring inside. Before taking apart regs I check the MP/IP and inhalation of the second stages. In this case the first stage was fine and it didn’t leak. A part of the o-ring was found in the AirSource second LP hose.

Cdncoldwater likes this.
  6. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

So what brand of clones are you suggesting?

7. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

Would you recommend the TEK3 or (ATX100, in which Apeks has discontinued production)?

8. diver42

diver42 DIR Practitioner

I bought a DST in 2000. It was my first reg for single-tank diving. When I moved to doubles, I bought another. Now it’s one of my stage regs for cave diving. Every few years, I have it serviced. The turret is helpful in single tanks and in stages. It’s also sealed. (I have a UST for my argon rig. It works.)

Contrary to some advice, I would buy the reg you want to have for the next few decades. Treated well, they last. Decades ago, people worried about the reliability of the turret. No more. It lasts.

Bottom Surveyor and Scuba Client like this.
  9. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    1. I have not noticed the OP was asking twin set diving.
    2. I am a cert. trimix diver since late 90s and have been using only Apeks a yr or two earlier and DST was one of those. There is NO need for anyone to lecture me on the routing of DST in twin set even with the 5th port. I use the DST on one of the deco tank because of the turret.
    3. I am more interested on the OP's question rather than your style of diving.

Scuba Client likes this.
  10. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    TEK3 was a sick joke. The routing was horrible.
    FST used to be the flagship for Apeks and then came FSR. No reason to be around for so long. I believe the late John Bennett was using it for the 308m dive 20yrs ago. RIP.
    I never have any issue with the turret O-ring on DST.

If anyone noticed Aepks reg could not lock on the IP and suspect the orifice is damaged. Before throwing it away or take it to the shop for an expensive repair. Buy a new pencil with eraser at one end, insert the eraser end to the orifice and gently rotate it with minimum pressure. It might work wonder. But if the orifice is corroded then......
    Apeks also has a special polishing tool for that.
    Make sure no salt water ever get into the HP chamber and my 20+ yrs old DS4 is a good testament to that. If in doubt, give it an immediate service, preferably DIY, it is dead easy for Apeks.