Apex XTX50 and XTX40 - which first stage to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
TEK3 was a sick joke. The routing was horrible.
FST used to be the flagship for Apeks and then came FSR. No reason to be around for so long. I believe the late John Bennett was using it for the 308m dive 20yrs ago. RIP.
I never have any issue with the turret O-ring on DST.
I've used the TEK3s when using twin bladder wings, each regulator hose was connected to an inflator. Thanks for the info, I'm looking at replacing my Hollis 212s for Apeks DSTs and ATX50s.

"2) replaceable high pressure orifice vs its being part of the reg body."

I use FSRs because of this. The only Apeks first stage with replaceable crown, why? No idea. By the way, should you damage the crown in any other model, it's a pretty penny to replace the body.
My own speculation:
The body of US1, US4, DS4, DST and UST are very similar if not identical. I suspect they just need to make one single batch for the body and then work on it afterward to produce the various models.
FST was different and was the flagship.
FSR with ARCAP came later.

It must be a big investment for Apeks to produce all their latest models.

I

I've used the TEK3s when using twin bladder wings, each regulator hose was connected to an inflator. Thanks for the info, I'm looking at replacing my Hollis 212s for Apeks DSTs and ATX50s.
The 5th port could be very useful.

If I am buying used Apeks 1st stage I would insist to look at the orifice. FSR, I believe, is the only comes in with ARCAP which is replaceable. I also believe there is a tool produced by Apeks to polish the orifice.
Technician can ruin the equipment but that is another story.

XTX50 is usually paired with DS4 or DST while UST is usually with the 20 or 40 series.
Would the turret make the routing any better than non-turret? NOT to my own experience as I have a DST others might have different idea/experience.
Cold water is below 10C
I have US1, US4, DS4, DST and FSR and to be honest I could not find any difference in breathing.

US4/UST with XTX50/40 is good enough if not diving in cold water but please rinse that opening at the bottom to the spring inside the 1st stage after every dive. If that is too much of a hassle then get a DS4.
2HP ports are only useful if you are using transmitter + spg.

Same DS4 + TX50 my work horse for the last 20+ yrs.

THIS

AT73, it's not cheap.
A lot more expensive than a new pencil!!!!
The pencil treatment does work incidentally.
And if all the latest models came with ARCAP. Would you pay the extra only for the angled HP port on FSR? I doubt many divers would.

As long as it had 2 hp, ports, no, in my world a DST is almost same price as FSR.
The only reason I bought the FSR in the beginning was the ARCAP. I have the DST already. But I hate those 1/2" LP port in both old models. Purely JOKE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom