Apex XTX50 and XTX40 - which first stage to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be good!

As someone said it all comes down to the cost. How can we discuss the cost for the different options below? (I sent you my email a few days go for the service manual, not sure if you had the change to see it)

FSR / XTX 200 + XTX 40 Octo + Gauge + Bag
FSR / XTX 50 + XTX 40 Octo + Gauge + Bag
DST / XTX 50 + XTX 40 Octo + Gauge + Bag
DS4 / XTX 50 + XTX 40 Octo + Gauge + Bag

Do you need 2 HP ports? If YES then DS4 is OUT.

DST vs FSR
My preference is FSR
Reasons: ARCAP( replaceable valve) and the slightly angled down HP port ie less stress on the hose.

50 is as good as the 200.

Hi @Tiago Machado, I am not sure that you need the XTX50 for the kind of dives you do... the XTX40 might be enough. For sure not the XTX200 - although I do not speak for personal experience, everyone I know says that the main difference between xtx200 and xtx50 is aesthetic.

Hi @Tiago Machado, I am not sure that you need the XTX50 for the kind of dives you do... the XTX40 might be enough. For sure not the XTX200 - although I do not speak for personal experience, everyone I know says that the main difference between xtx200 and xtx50 is aesthetic.

In regards to 2nd stages 50/100 (NLA)/200 the only differences are cosmetic.

That would be good!

As someone said it all comes down to the cost. How can we discuss the cost for the different options below? (I sent you my email a few days go for the service manual, not sure if you had the change to see it)

I sent via Dropbox. I'll do do again later. Please check junk folder. Cheers.

As I had replied to OP other thread on octopus.
The moving parts of Apeks 2nd stage from 20 all the way to 200 is the SAME. The subtle difference is on that adjusting screw. And of course there is no heat exchanger on the 20.

Yes, the XTX200 and XTX50 is purely cosmetic, it has some chrome applications.

Why do you say that I wouldn't need the user-adjustable inhalation control knob from the XTX 50 for my kind of dives?

Yes, the XTX200 and XTX50 is purely cosmetic, it has some chrome applications.

Why do you say that I wouldn't need the user-adjustable inhalation control knob from the XTX 50 for my kind of dives?

No no no.... wait, I am not saying that you do not need it, I am saying that I am not sure that you need it.

Apeks is a tec brand, and some of the features are really important for cold water or deep diving (or other complicated environment). The kinds of dives you mentioned are quite simple in this regard; for sure you could find hard conditions like currents, but equipment-wise you are probably fine with something basic. Basic means cheaper and less potential failure points, so I personally stay as basic as I can.

Here's what I would do: try the user-adjustable inhalation control, and if you perceive any noticeable difference go for it. Otherwise, don't.

I am definitely not an expert, and I am curious to see if anyone with more experience will correct me... so wait for other feedback please :)

Spot on.

Sonar Adjusting Screw for Apeks 2nd Stage Regulator - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

You will need an allen key to adjust that plastic knob on 20 or 40 series.

It is adviceable to turn the knob all the way out for storage( to lessen the compression on the spring inside)[but be careful because you can break that plastic screw(not the metal one in 50 - 200), I have done that before]. There is a small metal pin inside to stop the complete removal of the knob. And do remember how many turns it requires because you have to turn it back for your next dive!!!!!!
All this procedure is in the service manual.
There is even a finer adjustment screw inside that metal knob in the latest 50 and 200 model!

Is the self adjusted screw really necessary? It is good to have but not absolutely required.

Back
Top Bottom