Apollo Bio-Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverNU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Concerning the Apollo Bio-Filter moisture system.

Has anyone ever heard of any leakage problems with this device.

Looks like after the initial install... to replace the wick or take it out to dry after diving.. looks like you just hand tighten when getting ready for your dive.

Also.. seems like I get some water in my mouthpiece at first.. I could just be overly saturating the wick though.

and.. does anyone notice any difference in air flow when this device is installed.

on a side note...

it seems that my octo has better air flow than than my main reg.. is this normal?

I also was going to purchase this at one point as I had began to get dry mouth. and those were some concerns along with adding a possible failure point. several people have used them and commneted and that they do work well. For me I just made sure to drink plenty of water. The big thing that also helped was to de-tune the reg. Turn the adjustment knob back as to lower the amount of air. Doing this helped stop the dry mouth. Part of the problem is the regs are flowing too much air and is what contributes to causing the dry mouth.

If your back-up is a higher performance reg or tuned High it could flow or feel as it is delievering more air. Also the Peice is hooked up to your primary I believe which has to flow the air through it 1st. I never used one But I have to think there would be a little less air flow through the hose as it now has some more restriction (Also one Complaint I read.)

I have been using mine for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it. I find it has helped with the dry mouth and possibly lessened the after dive headaches/fatigue. I service it every year as recommended by the manufacturer and used it in a variety of dive situations. So far no problems.

Hey everyone, ,i just got this filter for the purpose of filtering air from a questionable fill source,, i dive alot in asia and often times i question their compressor maintenance. so i buy it and after assembleing it im wondering the directions say you must keep the 1st stage pressurized to prevent water from entering the small fill port (port used to rehydrate the wick between dives), so the way i interpret this is i cannot dunk or soak my reg after a dive?????? how do all of you with this set up rinse your regs now?? also heck if i get salt water past the filter set up, could spell problems with salt buildup in first stage,, so basically WHO has this filter and what is your experiences with cleaning it after a dive??

I had one of those some years back now. It was nicely machined, but it didn't do much for me. I had some bad air on Oahu, but no amount of filtration or doodads would have fixed that. If you're getting questionable air in Asia, and these days, there is NO reason to get lousy air anywhere on the planet, you need another source of compressed gas.
I eBayed my device a long time ago. If it works for you, more power to you.

I do not think "bio-filter" is an accurate name for the device. There is hopefully not anything living in the media. I also do not think it is necessary to use DI water. After all, you are not drinking it, but rather just trying to replace some moisture removed (hopefully) by the compressor filtration dessicant. As far as the activated carbon filter removing anything harmful, I do not believe there is enough dwell time in the itty bitty AC filter for that to be effective. This seems more like marketing hype.

That being said it is a very effective air saturation device, pure and simple. I dove a Conshelf 14 (metal body 2nd stage) for many years and when I switched to a plastic second stage I noticed the dryness immediately. I made fun of my friend for quite some time for his snazzy bio-filter, and then he bought me one for my birthday. I really do love it. Keep in mind it is after the first stage so the pressure is <200. When I first saw it, it concerned me as a failure point, because I dive around a lot of rocks and ledges, where I was afraid an impact my break it. However, it is designed with a swivel mechanism to allow for movement.

If you want to ebay yours, please PM me because I will make an offer for an easy gift for my other dive buddies.

Dave

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom