Apparently the #1 rule of diving ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
is not important when filming..

"a Harry Potter film"

presumably, he never ascended much during the scenes....

Well that would be the reason for intensive training so he could shoot those scenes with some safety. It would be hard to shoot the scenes with him being fish-like while constantly blowing bubbles :)

I read somewhere that they were limited to 15 seconds underwater at a time because of some safety regulations? Didn't even sound do-able to me. Makes even less sense rading this.

Maybe he was told, "The number one rule in scuba diving is to not ascend when you're holding your breath." :wink:

I thought it was all done with smoke and mirrors?:wink:

Six months to learn to dive? Man I got screwed. It only took me 6 weeks.

... 6 months to learn to dive for 15 seconds? :D

He wasn't exactly "learning to dive", he was learning skills to get the job done (preferably without killing himself). PADI may soon have a "being Harry Potter" speciality so we can all try it!

Something like this is out of the sport realm and into the commercial world. Safety regs are much stricter and it takes a lot more people to make a dive. Things are done there that do not pertain to sport so they can’t be judged the same. Like comparing apples and oranges.

Sure it’s for a movie and some are going to say it’s not commercial, but the minute a paycheck is attached it is.

Gary D.

You know, the article says that he was taking a "big gulp" of compressed air, and then swimming around holding his breath for the scene. Could have been very bad if he ascended while still holding that breath. It was probably really good that he had intensive training beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom