Apple Watch Series 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, how long before someone figures out a tank pressure transmitter for the new Apple Watch that makes it a full on dive computer?

Not even close to waterproof, not always on (and probably wouldn't even come on if you raised it to look at it while you were in trim), and if the display were somehow forced to be on all the time, I bet it wouldn't last two dives without needing to be recharged. It's not even a very good watch for an upright person on dry land. So I'll say.... never?

A few years ago there was an interesting idea for a housing for an iPhone that would turn it into a dive computer, with (wired?) integrated air, IIRC. Almost ponied up for one (I wouldn't find something like that attractive now), and I'm glad I didn't, because I don't think the company ever shipped any.

5Xslider2.png

iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log

Surely the lack of a pressure sensor would inhibit the iWatch becoming a dive computer.

Would be interesting if you could even wear it at 50m? Would it actually last sustained pressure.

As I recall Apple wouldn't let the iGills sell the app due to liability concerns.

IMG_3367.PNG

Surely the lack of a pressure sensor would inhibit the iWatch becoming a dive computer.

Would be interesting if you could even wear it at 50m? Would it actually last sustained pressure.

I don't think you can wear it at 1cm...

I'm pretty sure it's not covered under Apple Care either if it gets wet. The 5's (last one I checked) weren't.

The new watch, the series 2 is supposed to be water resistant to 50m. So if it can withstand continual pressure, it should be okay. Though as you said the battery would be a huge issue. The pressure sensor could be in a tank pressure transmitter. If the connection was doable. That's why I was wondering if it would be done eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom