Apprehensive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish:
Having had the chance to dive with a fair number of people on this board, I have to say, what you see, is what you get.

The good people are just that, good people.

There is a tremendous network of people here, that more than just the internet, actually know each other, so spend some time finding out who knows who and what they are really like.

Enjoy your dive and please consider the SOCAL get together of SB members this fall - there will be people from all over the US and Canada there (and maybe, if we are lucky, other countries).

Regarding gear rental, you need to get to know some of these people better, there are lots with extra gear you could use.

And sometimes, diving with new divers is fun. You get to be human and spend more time being social and less being technical.

I've gone on two diving vacations with SB member I did not know, and am glad they would have me.

Now go get wet.

Good advice!

JodiBB:
Hey everyone! Well, I took the plunge and I'm going on the Mo2vation boat dive on May 27th!! I'll have to rent my equipment, but no biggie...just have to remember before the 27th to pick it up! :)

Hopefully I'll get to hook up with some good buddies next weekend! :D

Make sure you post a trip report, I bet you have a GREAT time!
Ber :lilbunny:

JodiBB:
Hey everyone! Well, I took the plunge and I'm going on the Mo2vation boat dive on May 27th!! I'll have to rent my equipment, but no biggie...just have to remember before the 27th to pick it up! :)

Hopefully I'll get to hook up with some good buddies next weekend! :D
You're gonna have a great time!

You will be with a great bunch of divers, unfortunately I am back home in Virginia and will not be able to attend.

Since I know you have been looking to purchase gear, you should look at the gear these divers will be using. You will see all types, some of the divers will be using standard recreational rigs with jacket BC's, while others may be using BackPlate and Wing configurations with either single or double cylinders. Some divers will be using the "long hose" regulator configuration while others will have standard recreational set ups. Do not be bashful, ask to see their rigs and why they like the different ways of setting them up. You will have a great opportunity to see lots of things you have not seen before. Most if not all of the divers you will meet should be happy to talk to you about different configuration styles.

A wonderful door is opening up for you! You should have a great time.

If I were able to be there I would be happy to dive with you, but it is a bit too far from Virginia. I should be returning to SoCal in about a month or so, and look forward to diving with you then.

Mark Vlahos

Thanks Mark! Let me know when you return...would love to dive with you too!

That is a great point to check out all the dive gear...I usually do that anyways when I'm boat diving, but doing this specifically with new divers is a good idea! Thanks!

I think this is common not only with diving, but I found it with golf too. It comes down to seeking out places you want to go, find a buddy there, and being honest about your dive skills.

Right now I am an air hog, and when I go with new groups I let them know about how much time I am able to spend down on a tank that way there are no surprises. This has worked well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom