April in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NelleG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy all,
We’re in the early stages of planning a trip to the Keys, and by “early stages” I mean I want to go soon. Ideally I’d like to dive 2 days in Islamorada, 2 days in Marathon, and 2 days in Key West. I’m looking for dive shop recs in those three locations please. Since we also need lodging, places that offer packages would be helpful too. We’ll be flying in to FLL from BOS and plan on renting a car to drive the Keys so we’ll be pretty mobile. Thanks in advance!

Hotels in key west right now are over $400 a night. I don’t know how April looks, but I think that’s ridiculous. You might stop coming south at Looe Key and take a day there and a day to dive the vandenberg. If you like wrecks. The key west reefs are nothing to write home about. Looe Key reefs are much nicer. Why do you want to stop in Marathon? In my opinion, Marathon is a crappy town that the only claim to fame is that it’s cheap to stay. There is a reason for that. It’s a lot like staying in Point Judith or Gloucester. The seafood is great. If it were my week, I’d spend a day or 2 in Key Largo, a day in Tavernier, and a day in Looe Key, and spend that evening in Key West. We have incredible eating here, stay away from the touristy places.

As @Wookie said.

The upper Keys are far better for the large wrecks and all reefs, but you've got a good wreck in Marathon, another in Looe Key, and 2 in Key West. Reef quality drops off as you head south. The Key West reefs are not worth the trouble to get to, especially when you consider the higher expense of staying and diving there unless you plan to do the touristy stuff and be able to tell everyone you were at the southern most point of the Continental USA and browsed the bookstore at the Ernest Hemingway Museum and like to climb lighthouses.

During a recent stay in Key West the hotel prices were astronomical so we checked out vacation homes at a brick and mortar local realtor "At Home in Key West". (I avoid VRBO and similar if possible) and got a good deal on a condo that fit the 6 of us comfortably for about $1150 for 3 nights.

If you aren't into the touristy stuff and were under the mistaken impression that there's 2 days of good diving Key West and you aren't looking to dive the Vberg or Cayman Salvager more than once or twice and are flexible with your plans then consider staying in one place, south of Key Largo around Tavernier and make that your base of operations to branch out to various dive Ops during your stay.

Marina Del Mar in Key Largo is a cheap hotel in a nice location and although it's a bit dated it's neat and clean and you won't be unpleasantly surprised except consider yourself lucky if you get a parking spot near your room.

Marinas Club is south of Key Largo approaching Taverneir and is a nice condo community that will give your group space to spread out and cost the same or less than comparible hotels in the area. I typically dive with Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier and when I was in Key West I used Southpoint Divers. If you're going to do the Vberg for the first time I recommend hiring a DM but be prepared for sticker shock as well as the possibility that after shelling out upwards of $150 per day for a dive guide you might get blown out of the Vberg and still have to pay for the guide as we did which pisses me off because the Captain decided not to do a double dip because of the rough conditions that were troublesome to a few other divers without consulting me- who booked our group well in advance and received a promise that the Vberg would be done twice if at all possible.

I do not recommend Lost Reef Adventures due to their very restrictive and unfair very onesided cancelation policy (they reserve the right to cancel up to the evening before for any reason including not having enough divers to be profitable) yet if you don't give 72 hours notice you're basically screwed and are held responsible for the entire cost of the dive. I've had serious issues with them when booking dives in the past that led to a credit card dispute that they lost.

Looe Key Dive Center will get you out to the Adolphus Busch wreck and a couple of reefs that might be interesting on a good day, I found them to be lackluster and wouldn't recommend any reef dives south of Islamorada but your experience may vary.

Conch Republic Divers: Dive Portal - Dive Calendar
At Home in Key West: At Home in Key West | Key West Rentals & Real Estate
Marinas Club Key Largo: Mariner’s Club Key Largo ™ – Welcome to KeysCaribbean
Looe Key Dive Center: index

As @Wookie said.

The upper Keys are far better for the large wrecks and all reefs, but you've got a good wreck in Marathon, another in Looe Key, and 2 in Key West. Reef quality drops off as you head south. The Key West reefs are not worth the trouble to get to, especially when you consider the higher expense of staying and diving there unless you plan to do the touristy stuff and be able to tell everyone you were at the southern most point of the Continental USA and browsed the bookstore at the Ernest Hemingway Museum and like to climb lighthouses.

During a recent stay in Key West the hotel prices were astronomical so we checked out vacation homes at a brick and mortar local realtor "At Home in Key West". (I avoid VRBO and similar if possible) and got a good deal on a condo that fit the 6 of us comfortably for about $1150 for 3 nights.

If you aren't into the touristy stuff and were under the mistaken impression that there's 2 days of good diving Key West and you aren't looking to dive the Vberg or Cayman Salvager more than once or twice and are flexible with your plans then consider staying in one place, south of Key Largo around Tavernier and make that your base of operations to branch out to various dive Ops during your stay.

Marina Del Mar in Key Largo is a cheap hotel in a nice location and although it's a bit dated it's neat and clean and you won't be unpleasantly surprised except consider yourself lucky if you get a parking spot near your room.

Marinas Club is south of Key Largo approaching Taverneir and is a nice condo community that will give your group space to spread out and cost the same or less than comparible hotels in the area. I typically dive with Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier and when I was in Key West I used Southpoint Divers. If you're going to do the Vberg for the first time I recommend hiring a DM but be prepared for sticker shock as well as the possibility that after shelling out upwards of $150 per day for a dive guide you might get blown out of the Vberg and still have to pay for the guide as we did which pisses me off because the Captain decided not to do a double dip because of the rough conditions that were troublesome to a few other divers without consulting me- who booked our group well in advance and received a promise that the Vberg would be done twice if at all possible.

I do not recommend Lost Reef Adventures due to their very restrictive and unfair very onesided cancelation policy (they reserve the right to cancel up to the evening before for any reason) yet if you don't give 72 hours notice you're basically screwed and are held responsible for the entire cost of the dive. I've had serious issues with them when booking dives in the past that led to a credit card dispute that they lost.

Looe Key Dive Center will get you out to the Adolphus Busch wreck and a couple of reefs that might be interesting on a good day, I found them to be lackluster and wouldn't recommend any reef dives south of Islamorada but your experience may vary.

Conch Republic Divers: Dive Portal - Dive Calendar
At Home in Key West: At Home in Key West | Key West Rentals & Real Estate
Marinas Club Key Largo: Mariner’s Club Key Largo ™ – Welcome to KeysCaribbean
Looe Key Dive Center: index
Delmar is is walking distance to Sharkys just saying

I like the upper keys better too. With that said, the Vandenberg is a fun dive in KW.

In Tavernier, I like Conch Republic the best. Its my favorite shop in the Keys. The staff is super. If you like six packs, Quiescence in KL is a good choice. To best if my knowledge, neither if these shops have packaged deals for lodging.

I've stayed in Pirates Cove hotel in Islamorada a couple of times and have been pretty happy. Its not fancy, but it was clean and has a nice small marina with Adirondack chairs you can enjoy if you just want to chill out. I haven't stayed their since the storm though.

I've also rented condos at Ocean Ponte half a dozen times. Had 5 really good experiences, the sixth wasn't so great in that I got a unit that the owner had not keep updated or in good condition

One shop that does have a good lodging package is Rainbow Reef. The deals they have with the Marriott Courtyard are really good. RR's boats are a bit cattle boat like, but the staff and captains are excellent. They also throw a dive guide in the water for every 4 to 6 divers. Even though their boats are crowded, I'll use them periodically since they get everything else right.

I like the upper keys better too. With that said, the Vandenberg is a fun dive in KW.

In Tavernier, I like Conch Republic the best. Its my favorite shop in the Keys. The staff is super. If you like six packs, Quiescence in KL is a good choice. To best if my knowledge, neither if these shops have packaged deals for lodging.

I've stayed in Pirates Cove hotel in Islamorada a couple of times and have been pretty happy. Its not fancy, but it was clean and has a nice small marina with Adirondack chairs you can enjoy if you just want to chill out. I haven't stayed their since the storm though.

I've also rented condos at Ocean Ponte half a dozen times. Had 5 really good experiences, the sixth wasn't so great in that I got a unit that the owner had not keep updated or in good condition

One shop that does have a good lodging package is Rainbow Reef. The deals they have with the Marriott Courtyard are really good. RR's boats are a bit cattle boat like, but the staff and captains are excellent. They also throw a dive guide in the water for every 4 to 6 divers. Even though their boats are crowded, I'll use them periodically since they get everything else right.
Quiescience has lodging onsite. I don’t know the particulars.

Why do you want to stop in Marathon? In my opinion, Marathon is a crappy town that the only claim to fame is that it’s cheap to stay.

I second that opinion.

Lower keys diving from charters also sucks for people who don’t care about reef dives. That’s not to say there aren’t good wrecks there, just not ones charters run to unless you buy out the boat for the day.

I would just stick to Key largo there are plenty of dive sites there to explore. Marathon can be a little tougher to dive, on deeper dives.

Spiegel
Duane
Bibb
Molasses Reef
Christ of the Abyss (this is an extremely underrated dive, the outside of the reef line is full of large fish)

I never get sick of diving them.

thank you all for the great tips. I will go over this with Mr NelleG and let you know what we decide. I really appreciate all the great insight.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom