Aqua-lung regs - any worth considering?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to to buy a reg/first stage (and octo). Not sure what I should buy. The one thing I want to make is that whatever I buy can be serviced by a local dive shop. My favorite dive shop carries Aqua-lung as their main line, so thats why I'm curious as to people's experiences with these. I've rented the titan from them before, and wasn't incredibly impressed.

Anybody have experiences with these?

Darryl

Aqua-Lung has a poor reputation for it's regulators currently. That's unfortunate for a company with such as historic past. I have heard that Aqua-Lung has bought out Apeks-a company that makes some of the best regulators on the market. I suspect your store is or will carry the Apeks line and would recommend one of those.

While I've never been impressed with their equipment personally, they seem to be good about keeping parts available for aging equipment. (See rabbittears post below) Having a dealer LOCALLY means a lot, whatever brand it is. JMO
Norm

Not to say that they are not good but every time i have seen a reg problem 9 out of 10 times it usually is an aqualung. Have mostly seen them free flowing. Aqualung has aquired APEX so hard to say if they will keep up with the quality and service.

Does your local dive shop carry anything else other than Aqualung?? Was wondering because they don't usually sell much more if that is their primary line. Therefore in my opinion if that is all they sell than it will be the best in their eyes:eek:

What kind of diving will you be doing and what will suit your needs based on performance, reliability, cost of parts and service and so on. A sherwood blizzard would be an all around work horse of a regulator and service is quite inexpensive and they do not freeze up. Although there is certainly better breathers out there, I use a D400 / Mark 20 combo they are dynamite but do come with a price tag!! :D :D

Good luck

NINJA:)

IMHO, regulators are not something to be "skimped" upon. Spending the extra $100-200 on something that you might dive for the rest of your life is well worth it. And buying a really good brand and model will make a huge difference in your diving enjoyment in the long run.

While I don't have any price sheets in front of me, I would say that the few extra $$$ for the Apeks TX50 reg (with the DS4 first stage) would be very well worth it.

A very solid regulator, and one that you will never have to replace because your diving profiles "outgrew" it.

And if not the Apeks, then one of the tried and true ScubaPro setups.

breathes as nice as my Micra/Cousteau combo. Nothing!!! I like the tiny Micra, and the Cousteau will provide any and all air you might need. The new Apex First Stages are supposed to be re-designed to provide the same high flow. Not sure, but you can't go wrong with the Aqua Lung Micra/Cousteau.

Well, lessee... I've been diving AquaLung Regs since the 60's. The Titan first stage is the latest rendition of the tried & true Conshelf - not particularly "impressive" but bullet-proof and about as reliable as the sunrise. I still occasionally dive a Conshelf I bought in '72 - it's been rebuilt twice in 30 years and still works just fine, thank you.
For my main regs I dive Micras. They require a bit more routine care and maintenance than the old Conshelf, but they breath so easily and deliver so much air so effortlessly that many other regulators are like suck startin' a Harley in comparison.
I like USD (AquaLung) regs.
Rick

For your money, I don't think you can do much better than an TX40 even though Apex make more expensive regs, I am not sure they are any better. My standard reg is a scuba pro mk20 U/l, which is a lot more expensive, I wish I could say that its much higher price gave a much higher performance. I think the TX40's low effort, smooth breathing qualities and performance are still a match for anything thats being made, and has proved good enough to go as deep as any tri-mix diver could want to go. For a budget reg, the Aqua-lung Calypso is at least half the cost of the Apex. I also have one of the early budget Aqua lung Pro regs, which my LDS said is to old to service; it has the non adjustable chrome brass 2nd stage. It still works fine, the breathing characteristics are different, initially a bit harder to start and then there is a slight positive pressure delivery, I like it.
Regards,
Budgy

The old Conshelfs are 'bout as bullet proof as you can get. Great for cold water and just plain don't quit. You can't hardly find any for sale up here. Getting parts for some models can be tricky though, I hear.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom