Aqua Lung SolAfx 8/7mm wet suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering this wet suit and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It has an across the chest zipper for front entry and is supposed to block water pretty good. What I am wondering is if it okay to put wax on the zipper to help it slide easier and to help block out more water? Any info would be appreciated...thanx in advance.

LowDrag

I wouldn't recommend using wax on the zipper. Reson being is, it is more likely to attract dirt and increase the possibility of jamming the zipper. I would use silicone spray, before a wax.
If you look on the inside of the zipper, you should see a 2" +- strap of neoprene, this is a water dam and is designed to minimize water flow through the zipper and into the suit.

Thanks Scott, that sound's reasonable to me. I think I will pass on the wax.

I am considering this wet suit and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. It has an across the chest zipper for front entry and is supposed to block water pretty good. What I am wondering is if it okay to put wax on the zipper to help it slide easier and to help block out more water? Any info would be appreciated...thanx in advance.

LowDrag
I know you posted this a long time ago -- hopefully you bought the suit and tell me how you like it :)

FWIW, recently bought the new/current version of this wetsuit. Hands down, warmest wetsuit around. Did 3 dives last week, Southern California, 53 to 57 degrees, very comfortable.

I have this wetsuit and dive in California (usually shallow, 40-45" max, my coldest dive was in 49F water). Take this review with a grain of salt, since I have only 5 dives with it.

I am actually enjoying the SolAfx very much. While some of my buddies are getting coldish in their wetsuits, I feel completely comfortable and warm. Integrated hood and seals on arms and legs help minimize water movement — most cases I have my mid-section still dry in some spots when I take the suit off. The chest barrier works really well, don't think I'll ever need to put wax on the zipper.

It can be a bit restrictive because of the said zipper though. It feels a lot on land and is not noticeable underwater. Easy to put on, but can be a bit of a pain when taking off — I always need help of a buddy to take it off my shoulders. That said, I have an athletic build with really broad shoulders, and other ladies' experience may vary.

Overall I am really happy I got this wetsuit and not something else.

FWIW, recently bought the new/current version of this wetsuit. Hands down, warmest wetsuit around. Did 3 dives last week, Southern California, 53 to 57 degrees, very comfortable.

That is worth a lot! Thank you so much for responding. If I want to enjoy diving, warmth will be as high on my priority list as comfort; if not higher! When I'm freezing nothing feels comfortable. Thanks! Do you wear any additional clothing underneath for warmth?

I have this wetsuit and dive in California (usually shallow, 40-45" max, my coldest dive was in 49F water). Take this review with a grain of salt, since I have only 5 dives with it.

I am actually enjoying the SolAfx very much. While some of my buddies are getting coldish in their wetsuits, I feel completely comfortable and warm. Integrated hood and seals on arms and legs help minimize water movement — most cases I have my mid-section still dry in some spots when I take the suit off. The chest barrier works really well, don't think I'll ever need to put wax on the zipper.

It can be a bit restrictive because of the said zipper though. It feels a lot on land and is not noticeable underwater. Easy to put on, but can be a bit of a pain when taking off — I always need help of a buddy to take it off my shoulders. That said, I have an athletic build with really broad shoulders, and other ladies' experience may vary.

Overall I am really happy I got this wetsuit and not something else.

Thanks so much for the info! I like the front zipper -- I hate back zippers even on skirts -- if a dress has one I put it back on the shelf. Why is the zipper more restrictive I wonder? Do you wear any additional clothing underneath for added warmth?

That is worth a lot! Thank you so much for responding. If I want to enjoy diving, warmth will be as high on my priority list as comfort; if not higher! When I'm freezing nothing feels comfortable. Thanks! Do you wear any additional clothing underneath for warmth?

No. Just swim shorts.

Thanks so much for the info! I like the front zipper -- I hate back zippers even on skirts -- if a dress has one I put it back on the shelf. Why is the zipper more restrictive I wonder? Do you wear any additional clothing underneath for added warmth?
You're welcome!

All I wear underneath is a swimsuit. Not even shorts, pretty warm as it is.

As I said, I have broad shoulders — and while the wetsuit itself is very stretchy, the zipper area is a bit more stiff. So getting that over the shoulder while wet might be a challenge. But a little help from a buddly goes a long way :)

Since the suit has seals around wrists, ankles and neck, I don't think it would help to put something with long pants/sleeves/neck underneath: will just let in more water. I can see how a short sleeve shorty might be helpful if you do get cold, but I am yet to experience that. No need for additional undergarments so far.

Back
Top Bottom