Aquacat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well the time is almost here. One more day and a wakeup.
It looks as if the weather is going to cooperate and we will be boarding tomorrow evening for a week.
Will update this thread when I get back.

Have a great trip. I'll be interested to hear how you regard the diving, and what if any non-diving excursions they offer.

Richard.

Have a great trip!

I will be going on the Aquacat in October. This will be my 5th trip on her.

@drrich2 since the Aquacat is a live aboard, the bulk of their activities are geared to diving, but they do offer other options. As far as organized non-diving excursions, they have a trip to an island where you can feed the local iguanas. You get grapes and then put them on a stick to feed the iguanas.

There also might be the option to spend a night in Staniel Cay and take advantage of the local night life (a small "watering hole"). The advantage and draw though to spending the night at Staniel Cay isn't the night you spend there, it is that the next morning, you will visit "Pig Island". (I don't know the real name for the island.) This small island has a population of feral pigs. They have been known to swim out to meet the boat when they hear one approaching the island. In the past, it was common to use this as a way to "dispose" of things such as watermelon rinds, orange slices etc, but some idiots ruined this recently when they fed something to the pigs that poisoned a bunch of them. (The rumor was that they fed them some fruit that was laced with alcohol and the alcohol in it was poisonous to them.) The last I heard, tourists are no longer allowed to feed the pigs. Part of the "Pig Island morning" also typically includes a trip to "Thunderball Grotto". This is a snorkeling trip to a small island next to Pig Island that has a gorgeous grotto that can be reached by snorkeling under a small overhang. This grotto has been used in "Thunderball", "Into the Blue" and other movies.

Those are about the only "organized" non-diving events, but there is also a jet-boat called the "Sea Dog". (It took me a couple trips before I clued into the fact that the Sea DOG was chasing the AquaCAT all week.) If you feel like just relaxing on the beach, then the Sea Dog can run you to the nearest island and you can chill while the others dive.

@drrich2, if you are considering a live aboard, I would highly recommend the Aquacat. Like I said, I will be going back on her for the 5th time in a couple months.

Last edited:
Well the time is almost here. One more day and a wakeup.
It looks as if the weather is going to cooperate and we will be boarding tomorrow evening for a week.
Will update this thread when I get back.
I look forward to hearing about the quality of the diving, make sure you let us all know

I look forward to hearing about the quality of the diving, make sure you let us all know

Ditto for me...

I'm thinking of going on the Aqua Cat in the Bahamas next year... But was reading that some of the dives are washed out. Coral being bleached and lack of fish...? Hope not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom