Aquacolor Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experiences with this mask? (Featured on inside back cover of latest Skin Diver magazine).

I take it the mask you are referring to is the one with the color correcting lenses in it. They are supposed to add the colors that get washed out or something like that. I can't find my Skin Diver to see for sure what your talking about.

Tom

You're on the right track. But the difference in design between this brand and SeaView is that the lh & rh lenses have different tints. Something about adding more contrast.

I've been thinking of getting one of these type of masks for my blue water trips so I can "see" for myself if they are worth the hype. But before laying out the cash, I wanted to see what others know.

TexasMike,

The way these lenses work is as you go deeper, red is filtered out of the color spectrum first and will appear brown and dull. (Think about what you saw at the Flower Gardens.) The rest of the colors of the spectrum will follow as you go deeper. These lenses put the color back into the rainbow spectrum so that you see the true colors of the reef and fish.

I use the Seavision Ultra (www.seavisionusa.com), myself, and love it (personal opinion, not an endorsement). And, there have been many followers in this technology since. I can honestly say that if you have the chance to try a Seavision mask on; do so. The silicone is a softer silicone than many other masks and the mask fits almost any face.

Also, if you are in the market for cameras, make sure that the camera you buy has this color correcting lens on it as your pictures will appear sharper and show the true underwater colors.

Although I am not familiar with this particular product, I visited Aquavision's website. The anti fogging chemical that they put on the lens is subject to many restrictions that will put the mask out of warranty. It does appear that one lens is more tinted than the other. I guess that's why you cannot go diving in caves, caverns, or night diving with this mask. Just a consideration.

I wish I could talk my LDS in to providing some as loaners/rentals since I'm sure once divers get a chance to experience these color correcting masks, they would seriously consider a purchase.

Or I could just convince someone to let me borrow one....

(hmmmm...wonder how well they would work on one of our "green water" dives?)

TexasMike, I was able to "borrow" one of those masks for one dive when I was in Cayman last September during Cayman Madness. All I will say about it is that I am considering getting one of those masks for the next bluewater trip I will make. I did not use it on a night dive, however, as pointed out, it is probably not suitable for night dives.

I agree with not using it for the night dives. Guess I will have to find a dive shop that has a decent "satisfaction" retun policy and then get one of these masks for my next trip.

Texas Mike,

You are not that far away from me. Plan a rig trip to good ol' Louisiana and I'll let you borrow my Seavision mask for the dives. I know you must be used to rig diving by now.
SEE THE DEEP BLUE from our side!

I'll setup the entire trip for you, (ONLY if you WANT!), and even show you (and the wife if you have one) the sites of New Orleans and bring you to the incredible diving/spearfishing off of the coast of LA. Take the Color Correcting Lens Challenge!

If any of ya'll are in the Cajun State, just e-mail me. I'll give you hints on where to stay, where to go, and where NOT to pass out!

Hmmmm....now that's tempting.....what do you have going on in Late August early september??

And now that I've got the basics of diving down, I've been thinking of trying my hand a spear fishing. As long as someone else cleans and cooks them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom