Aqualung Calypso Entry level Reg - Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at buying a new 2013 Aqualung Calypso Entry level regulator, as a second reg. I can get one new for a very very good price (even by entry level price standards), but are they any good?

I know they are a basic unbalanced piston 1st and unbalanced 2nd stage. How do they perform? Am I going to notice a large difference after a SP MK17/G250V?

It would only be used for recreational beach/reef diving, up to max of 18m/59ft, but most of the time around 12m/40ft.

How do they perform when the tank is getting low and you're at 12m/40ft? Due to the unbalanced 1st, is the breathing effort a lot more on a low tank?

Also, being open to the environment, is it going to gunk up with sand etc doing beach dives, or if cleaned thoroughly is it not a problem?

Or should I just hold out and get a balanced Aqualung titan - is the entry model titan much better in terms of perforamnce?... Thanks.

Hold off and get a Titan LX.

If the price is around $100 I would go for it. If it is more then I would pass and purchase something else. There is going to be a noticeable difference in breathing performance between the two, but at 40 ft it should not be much of a problem. One advantage of an unbalanced piston first stage is that they are unbelievably cheap and easy to rebuild yourself.

I know, I'm a bit late for this probably, but anyway.

@aoumi

Just do yourself a favor and don't buy the 2013 version of the Calypso. It's the worst version ever to my opinion.

All the old versions were solid, reliable, I liked them even more than the SP MK2.

The first stage used to have an orifice one could change for cheap money in case of damage. I liked that a lot.

The 2nd stage was remarkably strong for a 'plastic' 2nd. Dismantling and putting together extremely easy, adjustment a peace of cake.

Especially the 2nd stage was breathing very smooth and easy thanks to the metal orifice I guess.

Actually those orifices you still can buy for cheap money Part number 100128, they fit perfectly all SP 2nds as far as I have seen.

The 'new' Calypso 1sts have the orifice machined into the body, so no possibility to change it. The difference of the IP between full tank and near empty is pretty high ( at least higher than the actual SP MK2) and there is no way to adjust the IP as far as I can see, because there are no shims or other means to do it.

The new Calypso 2nds are working pretty poor, the orifice is plastic now, the LP hose connection is AL specific, so you can't use normal LP hoses anymore, they breathe worse and adjustment is more time consuming.

The components seem to be of a cheaper 'plastic', even the valve insert is now 'plastic', so to me the 'new' (after 2010) Calypso is a big disappointment.

Get yourself an older model ( pre 2010) or look for something else.

I don't like the proprietary hoses they use, that alone would steer me in another direction.

I regularly use the Nitrox version of the Calypso while doing deco. It's a basic regulator : reliable, but not very confortable to breath on. I wouldn't want to use one to assist a buddy in need of air : stress in itself is already unconfortable enough.

Back
Top Bottom