Aqualung Griplock question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I very recently picked up a pair of Aqualung Griplock tank straps that were "new" sealed in plastic bag with product nomenclature, part number, and barcode(15 euros/each).

I suspect these are an older version of the straps because although they seem identical to the current version they do not have the rubber traction pad on the buckle or the "presets" for the macro-adjustment of the velcro.

I sent Aqualung an message inquiring if the rubber pads are something I can purchase from them but they have not responded (yet?).

No worries about the velcro presets but does anyone know when they started to include the rubber traction pad and if they are available as a replacement item?

Traction pad outside:
Griplock 1.jpg

Traction pad underside:
Griplock 2.jpg

Velcro presets:
Griplock 3.jpg

I have had Griplock bands for at least five or six years and they have the rubber insert like the picture. I think the rubber is molded into the cam. I don't think it would be possible to add it aftermarket.

Do you have an issue with tanks slipping? If it's a concern, add one of these grips from Dive Rite or other manufacturers.

Dive Rite Rubber Pad for Cam Strap | Dive Gear Express®

BTW 15 Euros (~$16) is very cheap -- they retail for $45 in the US.

I'm going to guess by the look of the pics of the traction pads that they are pressed through or molded through a slot (or group of holes if molded) in the buckle. Unless there is already a slot in the buckle, retrofit is probably unlikely, and only if they are pressed - not molded.

I very recently picked up a pair of Aqualung Griplock tank straps that were "new" sealed in plastic bag with product nomenclature, part number, and barcode(15 euros/each).

I suspect these are an older version of the straps because although they seem identical to the current version they do not have the rubber traction pad on the buckle or the "presets" for the macro-adjustment of the velcro.

I sent Aqualung an message inquiring if the rubber pads are something I can purchase from them but they have not responded (yet?).

No worries about the velcro presets but does anyone know when they started to include the rubber traction pad and if they are available as a replacement item?

Traction pad outside:
View attachment 595413
Traction pad underside:
View attachment 595414

Velcro presets:
View attachment 595415

15 euros is cheap...

Any online retailer?

15 euros is cheap...

Any online retailer?

No it was a local private sale via facebook marketplace. The guy stopped diving a couple years ago and was very slowly selling his gear...the pair of straps were the first items he posted.

-Z

I have had Griplock bands for at least five or six years and they have the rubber insert like the picture. I think the rubber is molded into the cam. I don't think it would be possible to add it aftermarket.

Do you have an issue with tanks slipping? If it's a concern, add one of these grips from Dive Rite or other manufacturers.

Dive Rite Rubber Pad for Cam Strap | Dive Gear Express®

BTW 15 Euros (~$16) is very cheap -- they retail for $45 in the US.

Have not used them yet and don't think they will slip regardless....I believe the rubber is there more to protect the finish of the tank even though it is called a "traction pad" in Aqualung's ad copy.

I would have thought the pads were just missing but these were sealed new in packaging.

Here is the info from the label on the packaging:

BELT, 2.0, GRIPLOCK, UNIV SIZE, PCKGD, AQA
Under that is a barcode

Each belt was sealed in its own plastic bag with a label with the above info stuck on it.

The current product numbers that I could find on the internet are 428230 (wrapture version) and 428210 (non-wrapture version). I can't seem to find a reference for 428200.

-Z

I would guess you got some early versions. The pad was probably added to protect painted tanks. I wouldnt worry about it.

I have found the following product number references for Griplock tank straps:

428240: Griplock tank band, Apeks (for wrapture pack)
428250: Grplock tank band, Apeks (for non-wrapture pack)
427107: Twin Tank Kit, Griplock (Lrg Contour Pack only)
428230: Griplock tank band (for wrapture pack)
428210: Griplock tank band (for non-wrapture pack)
427105: Twin Tank Kit, Griplock, AQ, Wrapture

-Z

I would guess you got some early versions. The pad was probably added to protect painted tanks. I wouldnt worry about it.

I am more curious than anything. And if I can obtain the pads themselves that would be great.

-Z

Follow up:

So I recently tried setting one of the Griplock straps on my wife's new backplate.....it was ridiculously long, and I was kind of confused. They were way too long to use with a 12L or AL80 size tank.

I did some research for info about the wrapture vs non-wrapture version and could not find any info on actual length other than the non-wrapture version is longer.

I was in a shop this afternoon that had some griplock straps hanging on the wall and inquired....they pulled out their supplier's catalog and pointed to a version of the griplock for twinsets and thought maybe that what these were for....but I don't think that is what these are, as this video from Simply Scuba indicates that is not what I have:

The straps I have are approximately 51 inches long. Here is a picture of one of them laid out with a ruler:

20200828_190325[1].jpg

Anyone have any ideas about these? or know how long the non-wrapture griplock straps are supposed to measure?

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom