Aqualung i300 showing wrong depth. Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn Williams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys. I have an Aqualung i300 I bought brand new from divers direct. It has been dove less than 30 dives, most of those were in fresh water and a few in salt water. Last August I was in the Virgin Islands and after my 2nd dive, We did our 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet for 3 minutes. My dive watch was showing me at 20 feet instead of 15. On the boat my watch was telling me I was 5 feet below the water while I was on the surface. Yesterday February 2nd, 2019 I dove in fresh water at Spring Lake, formerly Aquarena springs. I was diving my Eon core as well as my i300. I double checked my depth with my Eon core and an instructors eon steel. We both showed 9 feet but the i300 was showing 20 feet. After surfacing the i300 was showing 8 feet below the surface.

My questions are: is this an adjustable point?
It is now out of warranty. Who can I send it to for service?
I attempted last year to send it to aqualung and they would not take it.
Any tips? Thanks in advance

Glenn Williams

Some thoughts that may or may not help:
I saw another post suggesting that dried salt can interfere with a pressure sensor. Try soaking it.
Do the dive logs say the dives were at an elevated altitude? Also, the ALT 2 screen indicates if above sea level range during the dive.
Altitude adjustment is automatic, not user set.

Page 56 of the manual http://www.aqualung.com/ca/technical_library/i300_owners_manual_EN.pdf suggests a possible scenario if altitude is the culprit:
  1. Activate unit “dry” at an increased elevation, unit auto adjusts.
  2. Unit returns to sleep still at elevation.
  3. Unit is next activated “wet” immediately prior to a dive, thus retaining previous altitude setting and not readjusting.
Not likely, but still a possibility. The description of firmware release 1D for i300 (not i300c) seems to resolve this exact scenario. Are you up to date? Firmware version is shown on the same screen as the serial number.

If none of that works, contact the dealer you purchased from to go to work for you with Aqualung, rather than trying them directly.

Update 2-4-2019. Called and spoke with Divers Supply. Explained the issue and they requested I send it in to them. They will interface with Aqualung. As a side note. After drying the computer and letting it sit, I attempted to turn it on today and it says ERR.

So it was going to have to be sent in either way.

Will update as soon as I have a resolution.

Glenn

Update 2-4-2019. Called and spoke with Divers Supply. Explained the issue and they requested I send it in to them. They will interface with Aqualung. As a side note. After drying the computer and letting it sit, I attempted to turn it on today and it says ERR.

So it was going to have to be sent in either way.

Will update as soon as I have a resolution.

Glenn
A general note to add, just in case. Do not used compressed air to quick dry a dive computer.

A general note to add, just in case. Do not used compressed air to quick dry a dive computer.
Yeah, let Divers Direct do the legwork.
As another FYI, Aqualung US does have a specific Out Of Warranty process that does NOT appear to rely on working through a dealer, so I don't know what the deal was with the roadblock or speed bump you ran into the first time.

SERVICE
! WARNING: At a minimum, annually check the altitude reading on the ALT 2 screen (p. 18, 59) and Pre-
Dive Planner (p. 58) for accuracy. If your i300 is ever out of calibration (incorrect elevation reading, incorrect
No Deco Dive Times in the planner, or showing a depth reading at the surface) or displays an error
code message (EEP, ALT, CAL, ERR, CSM, A-D), it must be serviced at the factory before use.
If required to return your i300 to the USA factory:
• Obtain an RA (Return Authorization) number by contacting Contact Us or
(760) 597-5000
• Record all dive data in the Log and/or download the data stored in memory. All data will be erased during factory
service.
depth
sensor
PC interface
data port
PC COUNTDOWN
NOTE: The PC Countdown screen will
not appear if the cable is attached upside
down.
• Package it using a protective cushioning material.
• Include a legible note stating the specific reason for return, your name, address, daytime phone number, serial
number(s), and a copy of your original sales receipt and Warranty Registration.
• Send freight prepaid and insured using a traceable method.
• Non-warranty service must be prepaid. COD is not accepted.
• Additional information is available on the Aqua Lung web site AquaLung.com or on the local Aqua Lung web site
that serves your global region.
! CAUTION: The procedures that follow must be closely adhered to. Damage due to improper battery
replacement is not covered by the i300's warranty.

With a little luck, they may not charge for an Out Of Warranty fix. The couple of times that I have needed to take care of a customer with an out of date warranty on a BCD or a regulator, they have been very cooperative and helpful. Just not always quick....

It was divers supply not divers direct. I chose them because they are an authorized seller. Just for this reason. I never use compressed air, only a micro fiber cloth and Q-tips. I saw the return authorization form in the owners manual the day I posted this. Thought I would reach out to divers supply first this time. The last time I contacted aqualung I just called them, so in essence I don’t know or remember why they did not want to take it. I believe if memory serves they wanted me to do what I am doing now. The reason I did not send it in last year was the shop I dive with dove my watch and said they didn’t find a problem. I think they did not understand my issue. So since the computer showed a 3 foot deeper depth than last year and now since it says ERR. I was going to send it to someone anyway. I have not abused this computer in anyway and it looks new. Just weird this happened. Anyway thanks for your responses. Again I will update when I hear back from Divers Supply.

Update:
Divers Supply has received my i300 computer. I received a call yesterday from them and they are now reaching out to Aqualung to get the RA or return authorization. So I am in hurry up and wait mode. I honestly think it has to be simple issue and hopefully it is fixed/repaired with no issues. More to follow as I am made aware.

Glenn

Just got a call from Divers Supply. Aqualung has informed them my i300 is not repairable. They offered to sell me a refurbished i300 for higher than I can buy one new on eBay etc. I have asked them to get me a price on an i300c and what the price would be. Pretty upset over this as the computer was like new. I will update as soon as I hear back from them. I have also sent a message to aqualung regarding this issue. I fail to see how a product cannot be repaired. More to come.

Glenn

Just got a call from Divers Supply. Aqualung has informed them my i300 is not repairable. They offered to sell me a refurbished i300 for higher than I can buy one new on eBay etc. I have asked them to get me a price on an i300c and what the price would be. Pretty upset over this as the computer was like new. I will update as soon as I hear back from them. I have also sent a message to aqualung regarding this issue. I fail to see how a product cannot be repaired. More to come.

Glenn

Sorry about your luck I was looking at those computers this was the cheapest one i found

Aqualung Console with i300 Computer - Ocean Enterprises

Back
Top Bottom