Aqualung legend lx supreme or legend supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for thoughts on which is better option for me. Prefer warm water diving, but live in PA so settle for half my dives in low 50 degree water and rarely below 45 degrees. Wont buy a drysuit because I dont wanna be in water cold enough to warrant one regularly. Both are environmentally sealed first stages, lx has additional features to prevent freeze up. But given my normal and occasional temps, lack of drysuit stressing the gas supply, and ability to adjust bcd on exhale is the lx at $100 more really worth the extra money for me? Thoughts

Diving in waters below 70 degrees warrants use of drysuits for sure. In your case, it is essential to use drysuits for your comfort and safety.

I have the Legend LX Supreme. Breathes very nice. I’ve used it down to 43F on the Great Lakes without issue - diving wet. :wink:

Diving in waters below 70 degrees warrants use of drysuits for sure. In your case, it is essential to use drysuits for your comfort and safety.

Naah, water in the mid 50s to high 60s is perfectly acceptable wet suit diving. Go thick, especially over your core, add gloves and a hood and you'll be fine for recreational diving. 'course some may question what could possibly be recreational about temperatures below 70, they haven't experienced the joys of California, New York's 1,000 island region, or lots of other non-tropical destinations.

Naah, water in the mid 50s to high 60s is perfectly acceptable wet suit diving. Go thick, especially over your core, add gloves and a hood and you'll be fine for recreational diving. 'course some may question what could possibly be recreational about temperatures below 70, they haven't experienced the joys of California, New York's 1,000 island region, or lots of other non-tropical destinations.

I dove in the NE USA, NJ to Maine, for decades and I have experience it all in wet and drysuits. Yes, one can dive in these temperatures but it isn't comfortable and one can't do more than one dive or go deeper with wetsuits. Occasional divers can get away with it occasionally but not on regular basis while doing multiple dives in a single day while venturing deeper (within recreational limits of course).

I use a Hollis Neotek 7/8mm semidry and I've never been close to hypothermia, or even uncomfortable for that matter. Hands as little chilly with only 5mm gloves but no issues. Did dutch springs for a weekend of 6 dives and no issue whatsoever. Down to 90 ft at 44 degrees and as I stated I was comfortable. Did it on a borrowed AL legend supreme and loved how it breathed. That's about as extreme I intend to be, as far as temp goes. Hence why I was asking if it made sense to go up to the LX supreme over the standard supreme

I should say that I tend to be hot blooded, everyone else can be diving a 5mm full suit with hood and I would be in 3mm shorty

I don't think LX vs no LX has anything to do with prevent freeze up. LX has effort adjustment in 2nd stage, the non LX doesn't. That is about it. Personally, I would go for 2nd stage with effort adjustment.

And to be honest, 44C isn't that cold for regulator that need to concern about freeze up. Many people I know dive unsealed balanced piston, like Mk25 at those temperature, and don't have problem with freeze up. If effort adjustment is something you don't prefer, go with non LX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom