Aqualung Mikron first stage noise issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've just bought a used Aqualung Mikron reg set to use as a travel backup unit.

Was quite impressed at how small it is, and how well designed... some very clever engineering getting it all to package correctly and yet still perform well.

So immediately pulled it all down to service it... just as well, it certainly needed a good cleanup!
Am in the process of getting AL service kits (thanks Simon!) and some special tools from Scuba Clinic Tools in Thailand are due to arrive any day.

I've downloaded the Aqualung service guides, and have previously serviced several Conshelf balanced diaphragm regs... so using the correct tools and a torque wrench I don't anticipate any real issues getting it all back together and working properly.

However I stumbled across this video about a Mikron first stage with a strange humming noise... the video was taken to help the service techs diagnose the problem.

Apparently solved by polishing the main spring (!)
Anyone know what could be causing this... and what parts of the main spring were polished?
The ground faces in contact with the spring pads or the actual wire coils?

Normally there is a nylon washer between the inside of the adjuster cap and the spring end, which should also help attenuate any vibration from the spring under breathing cycles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom