Aqualung Rogue & Apeks Black Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FirasR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. I'm a returning diver after having taking a refresher course on my vacation and upon diving in my home country I was disappointed in the quality of rental gear here. So I'm planning to buy a full set of gear (BCD, regulators & dive computer). So from the available gear in Kuwait I've narrowed it down to either an Aqualung Rogue or the Apeks Black Ice. These two BCDs have all the features that I'm looking for such as back wing inflation, integrated weights, trim weights, Octo pockets, rotating shoulder straps, pockets, modular design, etc. I've tried both of them on and they both feel comfortable but unfortunately I don't have the option to try either of them in the water. The main difference seems to be that the Rogue is much lighter so it can be used for travel whereas the Black Ice supports two tanks which I'm not sure if I'll need the future. Are there any other major differences between the two that I've missed? I'd like to hear from those that have any experience with either of these BCDs. Much appreciated in advance.

Hi @FirasR

I dived the Aqua Lung Outlaw quite a while and posted my impressions. The Outlaw is similar to the Rogue in many ways. See post #83 and other referenced posts Aqualung Outlaw I disliked the ditchable weight system very much, for a variety of reasons. I added tank band weights and it exacerbated some of my complaints. I know nothing about the Apeks Black Ice, but it appears to be a BC that would perform better under the wide variety of circumstance in which I dived the Outlaw.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for your input Craig (@scubadada). I read your post regarding the Outlaw (and others' posts in that thread) and it's highlighted some important points for me (especially regarding the positioning of the integrated weights). The Apeks Black Ice while very similar in look & design to the Outlaw/Rogue comes standard with the integrated weights in a more traditional horizontal position while standing, and vertical position while swimming horizontally which is a plus for it. It also has an additional D-ring over the Rogue, an additional dump vale, more lift, dual tank option (if I ever go that route), and better pockets (one zipper and one drop-down vs the two drop-down pockets on the Rogue). The only downside of the Apeks I can see at the moment is the heavier weight compared to the Rogue, but it seems to be better designed overall and more versatile so I'm leaning towards it at the moment. I'll try both of them again at another dive shop this week hopefully before deciding on either one. Much appreciated.

@FirasR

If I was only going to dive my Outlaw in warm water with a 3mm suit and minimal weight, it would probably suit me fine. I would eliminate the ditchable weight pockets and simply use the trim pockets. Problem is, I dive a variety of conditions, 3-7mm suits, aluminum and steel tanks, and a fairly wide range of weight. I have dived the Outlaw with up to 20 lbs of weight and it was simply unacceptable.

The Black Ice looks fine, there are a number of back inflate BCs that are similar to choose from. I am not fond of the Sure Lock II weight pockets, I much prefer something simple, secure, and verifiable by sight, such as those used by Scubapro

Good luck in your BC purchase, Craig

@FirasR

The Black Ice looks fine, there are a number of back inflate BCs that are similar to choose from. I am not fond of the Sure Lock II weight pockets, I much prefer something simple, secure, and verifiable by sight, such as those used by Scubapro

Good luck in your BC purchase, Craig

Yeah I do prefer the ScubaPro weight pockets and the shoulder releases as well. Unfortunately here in Kuwait we have limited selections of equipment and the sole ScubaPro distributor doesn't stock and won't order any back inflated BCDs only the jacket ones. Otherwise I would've gone with a Seahawk. Thanks a lot though for pointing out the awkwardly positioned weight pockets on the Rogue that's a definite turn off for me. I've gone ahead with the Black Ice (along with the XTX-100/XTX-40 regulator kit and RK3 HD fins), while it's probably too heavy to travel with, all the other options and specs are what I wanted. The dive shop I bought it from adjusted the shoulders and waste down to my size since I'm on the smaller side and it fits perfectly now. I will have to buy a bigger gear bag as this BCD doesn't fold down though. Will be trying it out in the pool this week or the next hopefully and will see how it feels.

@FirasR, I'va sampled Black Ice when I was searching for my BCD. IMO, it is too big, and two tank capability is marketing BS. Again,IMO.
Positive,it is comfortable.
Thanks for your input @admikar. I agree it is a bit unwieldy which is why I originally wanted the Rogue, but as you said it is quite comfortable. The adjustable sizing is also a great plus as it fits me a lot more snugly than any of the rental BCDs I've tried so far. Here's hoping it feels as good in the water. Much appreciated

Quick review & update: I've used my Apeks Black Ice on 3 dives so far (the last of which is for my Rescue Diver training). While it's still unwieldy to pack, it's extremely comfortable to wear and dive in. I love having 4 purge valves and the 5 D-Rings (although I wish they'd put some above the pockets to clip my Octo/SPG to). Underwater I love the feeling and positioning of the back inflated bladder, I got used to this much faster than I thought I would this being the first time I use such a BCD. On the surface I do have to push back to keep from tipping forward, but again I got used to pretty quickly. It does seem to ride up slightly, but not as much as Jacket BCDs. The dive shop I purchased it from has offered to custom tailor a crotch strap to alleviate this issue. All that being said, I'm regretting not buying something a bit more streamlined as it is a bulky BCD. With ScubaPro back-inflated BCDs not being available in Kuwait sadly, I am contemplating a Dive Rite Transpac XT with a Travel wing for the future. The only other option that's popular here are the X-Deep bp/w BCDs which I'm not too keen on (tried one on, and the fit is very loose even after making adjustments to the harness).

@FirasR , I know it sound counter intuitive, but BPW harness is supposed to be loose. Only things holding it in place are belt and crotch strap. There are videos on YT about adjusting one piece harness. If you're set on "regular" BCD, maybe Mares Hybrid pure/tech might do the trick. It's comfortable, adjustable, lightweight and smaller. If you want double tank capacity, BPW is the way to go.

@admikar thanks for the tips and the recommendation. I'll check those out and see if I can find any Mares resellers locally. I'm also waiting on my local dive shop to bring some X-Deep BCDs in my size to try out.

Back
Top Bottom