Aqualung Rogue vs. Zeagle Zena?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Would appreciate any advice. I am going into my divemaster training next summer and I am really looking for a BCD that won't compromise durability for comfort. I will be in Turkey, so durability is a big factor for me because if something breaks- it is almost impossible to get it fixed or even get in contact with a scuba shop. I have been eyeing the Aqualung Rogue and Zeagle Zena, however they both have their downsides from what I can see:
  • Aqualung Rogue has this ongoing defect about the weight belt clips and I CANNOT risk having my weights fall off during divemaster training. How embarrassing would that be? Can anyone talk me out of this fear or should I just fully stay away from this BCD? I can also use a weight belt to avoid this problem...
  • Zeagle Zena has overall good reviews from what I can see except someone's zipper broke a few times but it seems modular. I can bring a spare zipper patch along with me.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be these two BCD's as well, I just travel a lot and need a good BCD recommendation.

I would look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. It is a good travel BC and Dive Rite is a solid well respected company with dealers all over the world. The only thing I would do is replace the bottom Velcro tank strap with a proper tank cam strap. Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite

My wife had both of these. Could not get a decent fit with the Rogue. The Zena off the shelf was ok, but then she customized the fit by changing the components to a smaller size, and the Zena fits her perfectly.

She really likes the Zena. No durability issues so far (going on 50 dives.)

My husband has a Rogue and I have a Zena. He likes the Rogue but has had some issues with the weight pockets - they are difficult to get back in while wearing the BCD and has had at least one occasion where he felt a weight pocket slip but he caught it before splashing. That was over the course of about 70 dives with it. I nixed a Rogue for myself due to that issue.

i like but don’t love the Zena. once on and positioned correctly, I am very happy with it. Easy trim, no tank sway. I like the two cam bands, carry strap, and the vest. However, the waist and hip straps can be a bit of a pain to get positioned correctly, usually have to wiggle around a bit when first in the water. Storage can be an issue especially I imagine for a working dive pro. The one pocket rolls up but dangles if you have anything in it. The 4 d-rings are positioned a little weird but you can add some. And the biggest issue for me is lack of a shoulder pull dump - it has two hip dumps instead. So, while I’m overall happy with it for now, I probably would not get it again unless they redesign and add a shoulder dump.

There is some really good advice on the board about the Zena - look for threads with @Kimela for example.

I am in DC and if you would like to try my Zena, feel free to DM me! It has all small components but from what I can tell, the straps have a length that can cover from the upper end of x-small through the lower end of medium

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom