• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Aqualung’s ACD - safe or not?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by Lopez116, Jun 6, 2018.

1. JimBlay

JimBlay Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've been using the Legend with ACD for over 13 years without issue. Initially as my primary singles reg and then I purchased a second and they are my doubles regs. They are fantastic regulators. I have close to 500 dives on them without ever having an issue.

Edit: Mine are DIN. DIN regs are all that I dive and all that I own.

2. WarrenZ

WarrenZ Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I still dont see the problem whenever I am on a livaboard when I put my tank in the tank rack I remove the first stage dry the dust cap and cover my reg that way the tank can be refilled and my regulator stays water/debris free. Are you suggesting that you never touch your own gear on a trip? I always look at it as my responsibility to make it easy for the crew to fill my tank and it is my responsibility to take care of the rest of my gear.

Sam Miller III likes this.
  3. NYCDiverBlue

NYCDiverBlue Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @rongoodman Given that this is the case, I am wondering what you and others here think of a work around strategy for this. Some do not repair their own gear. Some do not repair their own gear. If they do, they could simply do this after such a trip. If they do not, one is supposed to get their gear serviced once a year. One could simply schedule the servicing after such a trip and let the LDS know the conditions that the reg set was exposed to make sure that all salt crystals are removed. Would this strategy then negate any argument that one could make that an ACD device is of advantage in this situation with the exception that one is diving this type of dive trip multiple times a year.

Thanks for explaining as I will definitely investigate Cocos Islands as future dive locations especially since you are going there for a 3rd time. Which Cocos Islands are you speaking of?

Cocos Island - Wikipedia

Cocos (Keeling) Islands - Wikipedia

4. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  5. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That could work for a few folks in certain situations, but not really a game plan to count on. First of all, manufacturer recommendation on all Aqualung regulators is to overhaul every two years, and just inspect/test (nothing is disassembled in the inspection) in the off year. Cleaning out salt is an overhaul. You are also assuming this type of trip is only once a year, and always at the same time each year. Not too many folks fit that description. But.... yes, if you believe your regulator has been flooded or contaminated with sea water or anything else, then it is wise to have it serviced upon return from the trip.

6. NYCDiverBlue

NYCDiverBlue Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @JackD342 Thanks for explaining.