Archon D11V video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Panasonic protected 18650's and have no problem to dive an hour with them.

You ou get what you pay for with these batteries. Mine are NCR18650B. Fit perfect.

I use Panasonic protected 18650's and have no problem to dive an hour with them.

You ou get what you pay for with these batteries. Mine are NCR18650B. Fit perfect.
Those are the same cells that are used in the orbtronic ones, so they should be the same size shouldn't they?

The problem with 18650's is there is no official one size. Small margins are there, but i have plenty of clearance in length. I think they all should fit.

The problem with 18650's is there is no official one size. Small margins are there, but i have plenty of clearance in length. I think they all should fit.
Alright, ill give it a go!

Maybe a little off topic but I saw that some guy had bought extra loc line extensions. Does anyone know where I can get black 1/2" loc line extentions in Europe. Everything I find is from the U.S. And the shipping costs are ridiculous.

The word "Loc-line" in my first post is in blue because it is a link. If you click on it it will take you to the part page in the McMaster Carr website were you can buy a 1 ft hose segment for $8.89 online. You will need one of this per light arm. Additionally each light arm will also need:

One double socket adapter
61514_large.png

And two socket mounts
60533_large.png

Socket mounts allow you to secure a bolt through them so that you can affix a camera tray. They also you to secure the light on the other end of the hose. All these loc-line parts are in the 3/4 inch internal diameter size.

The tray itself is just a short aluminum bar of about 1 inch of width. It doesn't have to be that narrow, it could be wider. It just so happened that size is what I found in the scrap pile in my local metal mart. I drilled two holes on each end, one for the camera and one for the light arm.

The light is secured with a piece of stainless hose clamp. This piece wraps around the body of the light. Two holes were drilled at the ends of the stainless band to run the bolt coming out of the loc-line mount.

The loc-line company is in Portland not far from you. They do list 5 different distributors around the Seattle area here: The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Domestic Distributors

The loc-line part numbers that you need are these:
Hose segment - 61501
Double socket - 61514
Socket mount - 60533

Hi all!

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to the world of lighting and underwater videography. Have been using a setup consisting solely of a Canon S90 and housing for the past 5 years.

I'd like to give the Gopro a shot but am a little lost on how to go about affixing my torches to my tray.

As quick background - I don't live in the US. I also live in a tiny apartment and have no access to tools (drills, etc), so major DIY projects are out for me.

For tray: was looking at getting the Backscatter tray ($59) or SRP tray ($130). While I like the boomerang design of the SRP tray, I'm not sure I can justify paying over 2x the cost :( thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

Arms: here's where I'm a bit lost. I know it's a dumb question, but how exactly do you connect the loc-line to the handles on the tray? Is it just a matter of screwing it on through a thread in the socket mount, then jamming the loc-line in?

Also, where are the double sockets used? I've scrutinized the pics of DIY rigs but can't seem to figure it out.

Lights: I am leaning towards getting the Archon torches linked in the first post because of its relatively low cost. How do I go about fixing the torches onto the loc-line? I feel pretty dumb for having to ask this but I really can't figure it out. Do I have to buy the $50 mount+loc-lines from SRP? Is there a DIY option?

Thanks in advance for any replies! I've learnt a lot from this forum, it's such a valuable resource :)

Last edited:
For tray: was looking at getting the Backscatter tray ($59) or SRP tray ($130). While I like the boomerang design of the SRP tray, I'm not sure I can justify paying over 2x the cost :( thoughts on the pros and cons of each?
My trays are 1" wide little bars of aluminium that I buy for 50 cents at my local metal mart. I use the locline hose as light arms/handles. I have not tried SRP nor backscatter, but in my opinion I do not see any clear advantages that would warrant paying the extra cost.

Arms: here's where I'm a bit lost. I know it's a dumb question, but how exactly do you connect the loc-line to the handles on the tray? Is it just a matter of screwing it on through a thread in the socket mount, then jamming the loc-line in?
Did you see the pictures in my first post? There is one with a top view of the light attached to the socket mount. I run a bolt through the hole that socket mounts have in their center. I secure the bolt with a nut on the other side. You do the same thing with the tray: Bolt -> tray-> socket mount -> nut.

attachment.php

Also, where are the double sockets used? I've scrutinized the pics of DIY rigs but can't seem to figure it out.
Regular loc-line segments have a male end and a female end so that you connnect them to each other to create the length that you need. Socket mounts only have a male end. You need the double socket to convert the male end of your arm into a female, thus making it possible for you to attach a socket mount. I use socket mounts to attach the light on one end and the tray on the other, so the arm has to have female connections on both ends. In the picture attached on my first post the double socket is located on the tray end of the arm.

attachment.php

Lights: I am leaning towards getting the Archon torches linked in the first post because of its relatively low cost. How do I go about fixing the torches onto the loc-line? I feel pretty dumb for having to ask this but I really can't figure it out. Do I have to buy the $50 mount+loc-lines from SRP? Is there a DIY option?
Again, refer to the picture on my first post. I use a stainless steel band that I cut off from a stainless steel hose clamp. Wrap the band around the light body, run a bolt through it and through the socket mount and secure it on the other side with a nut. Pretty simple and way less than $50.

Again, refer to the picture on my first post. I use a stainless steel band that I cut off from a stainless steel hose clamp. Wrap the band around the light body, run a bolt through it and through the socket mount and secure it on the other side with a nut. Pretty simple and way less than $50.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain this. I did see the pictures in your first post, but somehow couldn't figure out how it worked! My apologies, as I have zero experience with DIY projects in general :) Really grateful for the detailed and patient explanation!

Just recieved my batteries and finally got to test out the lights and I have to say I'm impressed with the brightness. I ran the lights for about 50 mins and the light got really hot so I ended up turning it off. Has anyone else had similar experiences? And is this something I need to worry about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom