Archon - Same Model but Huge Difference in Battery Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My wife and I have identical Archon V10S lights. Mine is about a year newer than hers.

On our last trip I noticed that she was getting much better battery life than I was.

When we got home I ran a test using the same battery for each light. I charged the battery, put it in the light, turned the light on to full power and left it in a bucket of water.

After about an hour, the indicator on my light turned from green to orange. Fifteen minutes later it turned from orange to red. A few minutes after that the indicator and light started flashing: panic mode.

Her light lasted two hours before the orange indicator came on. It was another hour before the red indicator came on and another half hour before her light went into panic mode.

In other words, my light gets only an hour and a half from a fully charged battery while hers gets three and a half.

What am I missing here?

what batteries are you using? have you discharge tested them for capacity? are they both are on the same setting? eg high vs low and does the beam look to be about the same intensity?

.............................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
After you test your light take the battery out and put in to her and see if it runs for another hour. Do not charge the battery when moving between light. I am thinking that your light is saying that the battery is discharged to soon.
If it does not run her light longer It could be your light is brighter and using more current.

When I ran the test, I used the same battery for both lights. So, it's not the battery.

I will try Asteve's suggestion of moving the battery from my light to hers after my light hits panic mode. This is a great idea.

if it's not the battery then it is something in the light board itself, probably a thermal cutoff mimicking a short. Welcome to cheap chinese lights, it's the risk you take when buying cheap ones.

I understand on cheap lights. But, I live in Thailand where it is difficult to find decent lights and when you do the price is huge.

For example, this model of Archon light sells for US$40 on Amazon, US$30 on Ali Express. The dive shop from which I purchased it (support your local LDS) charged US$70….

I'll be in the US soon. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
After you test your light take the battery out and put in to her and see if it runs for another hour. Do not charge the battery when moving between light. I am thinking that your light is saying that the battery is discharged to soon.
If it does not run her light longer It could be your light is brighter and using more current.

I tested my light until the indicator turned orange. Then I put the same battery in my wife's light and the indicator showed green. So, as you suspect, the circuit that determines whether or not their is sufficient battery charge seems to be either faulty or way more sensitive in my light.

Thanks again for the suggested test.

Back
Top Bottom