• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Are Canister Lights fading away...

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by Capt Jim Wyatt, Jan 15, 2016.

Do you use a cordless light as your primary cave/wreck light?

1. YES

34.3%
  2. NO

58.3%
  3. Sometimes, but I prefer a canister

7.4%
  1. TONY CHANEY

TONY CHANEY Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I truly embrace both. I love my Big Blue light but it comes with some complications. i.e. without the cord you cannot route it around your head to use both hands, the cordless lights are hard to hold on to the back of your hand without additional support, lost of the canister to secure your primary reg. hose around. I also think that my 21 watt HID, with the focus head, can penetrate the water better and has a longer burn time. I also enjoy the robust quality of the LED and the fact that it can be used outside the water. The HID can be focused from pin point to flood where the LED can't. OTOH, the LED output can be decreased output to extend life time as well as light matching.

2. TONY CHANEY

TONY CHANEY Loggerhead Turtle

I have know Bobby F. for years but I cannot afford his lights.

Capt Jim Wyatt and oya like this.
  3. undrwater

undrwater Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Curious to see if y'all are putting handles on your non corded lights. Also curious to know how you're routing the long hose.

4. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I'd love a non corded light, unfortunately there just isn't enough burn time for most of the dives I did last year.

5. AJ

AJ Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    To me it's about burn time, amount of light, but also practicality. If a light with the same burntime and the same amount of light will be introduced with a small size cannister, I will buy it. I don't like a heavy and cumbersome cannister/light on my left hand. I like the low weight light with lots of burn time and amoutn of light a side mount cannister provides.

6. DevonDiver

DevonDiver N/A

ZzzKing likes this.
  7. Daedalus

Daedalus Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Your primary light is one of the most important pieces of cave diving equipment. Having your primary light tethered to you so it's almost impossible to lose it is one of the big advantages to a canister light. Also why I don't like EO cords.

OMANDIVER likes this.
  8. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

I route the long hose under my waist band...its NOT optimal. I do have handles on all of my cordless lights.

My Dive-Rite cordless has a four hour burn time. Most of my dives are less than that, even on my longer dives a large amount of time is spent on deco and I do not need a big bright light during that phase of the dive.

I have considered this and have had other divers express the same concern. Since my light is on a handle I have never dropped it. Since it is always on if I do drop it I can easily locate it. EO cords are a different animal.

9. oya

oya Rebreather Pilot

I wear a bungee bracelet that my cordless is boltsnapped to.
    (When I'm lazy, or forgot the bracelet at the bottom of the milk crate I just boltsnap it to one of my computer bungees)

shoredivr likes this.
  10. decompression

decompression Instructor...seriously...

Good topic Jim,

I'm lucky that in recent years my dive profiles are becoming more conservative as my age climbs. This has corresponded well with the advancement of LED/battery technology.

So, the power and burn times of the cordless lights meet my needs nicely. Also, cost. I think the biggest improvement so far is to back ups, lots of light with really long burn times at affordable prices. I now use back ups as primary's for non-overhead dives.

I'll be honest, I've always hated cords, there were some benefits and there still are but not having to spend the extra time with students managing the cord is nice.