• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Are fines enough to protect the environment?

Discussion in 'Sea Save Foundation' started by Sea Save Foundation, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Sea Save Foundation

Sea Save Foundation Sea Save Foundation Leader

2. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Fines have always been a silly way of protecting the environment. If a company or individual makes a mistake, a fine puts him/her out of business, there is no lesson learned there. If a company grows large enough to pay the fine, it becomes a part of the cost of doing business.

Disallowing permitted activities (suspending permits until mitigation, education, and upgrades are complete) is a way of limiting environmental damage.

kelemvor likes this.
  3. dreamdive

dreamdive Rebreather Pilot

Yes, and for the shark finning and whaling boats......I think they should be blown up.....Covert ops: putting mines on the hull and blowing them up remotely. ahhhhh, I can only dream..........

Oh sorry, that is too radical and the efficacy of it is questionable.

How about running aggressive ad campaigns in China and Japan claiming eating shark fin soup and whale flesh will cause people to die sooner...or, a horrible death....People don't care about the environment, they only care about themselves and their immediate pleasure gratification. If we can somehow stop the demand for shark fins and whale meat, then the company supplying it, will stop, too.

4. BLACKCRUSADER

BLACKCRUSADER Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!