Are Finns bad divers? Thread split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Why is it always Finnish divers dying in Swedish caves/mines?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This post, and others responding to it, have been moved to this forum since they were "off-topic" and contrary to the rules of the Accidents and Incidents forum. Have at it over here. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it always Finnish divers dying in Swedish caves/mines?
I don't think that question should be answered publically. At least not if the answer is based on personal opinion (which most answers are).

Last time the Finnish guys were in this mine, they got banned for blatantly disobeying the rules.

I don't think that question should be answered publically. At least not if the answer is based on personal opinion (which most answers are).

Please do send me a PM, I am really interested in knowing more and finding out the answer to my question.

Last time the Finnish guys were in this mine, they got banned for blatantly disobeying the rules.

That ban is good news regarding this diving site: it shows they have rules regarding safety and they also enforce them.
The Finnish guys in question seem to have nothing to do with this incident.

Last edited:
Simple: it isn't.
And the one incident that got so amazing much press was in Norway, which is no longer a part of Sweden BTW.

So now the Finnish are dying diving in more countries, this is actually much worse now. They got banned/kicked out of one country, they go on to another country and do the same stupid thing and die. Do the Finnish inherently have problem with rules and following safety guidelines???

So now the Finnish are dying diving in more countries, this is actually much worse now. They got banned/kicked out of one country, they go on to another country and do the same stupid thing and die. Do the Finnish inherently have problem with rules and following safety guidelines???

All Finns do not behave in the same manner any more than all persons from your country jump to conclusions and repeatedly make unfortunate, disrepectful accusations.

This incident looks a lot like no one did anything whatsoever wrong. In view of this, it is inappropriate to continue this mudslinging. It is disrespectful and not useful to the conversation. Please use a more respectful tone regarding the deceased, in this thread and in all similar ones.

I will not be continuing this conversation here or elsewhere.

Last edited:
This kind of accidents are very unfortunate and my condolences to the family of deceased and her diving buddies.

But the sad truth is, this was at least third mine/cave accident in a couple of years span that happened abroad to a Finnish diver: Norway, France, Sweden.

As a Finn, I feel my duty is to ask: Is it just bad luck or is there a deeper psychological / sociological explanation to it?

Last edited:
This kind of accidents are very unfortunate and my condolences to the family of deceased and her diving buddies.

But the sad truth is, this was at least third mine/cave accident in a couple of years span that happened abroad to a Finnish diver: Norway, France, Sweden.

As a Finn, I feel my duty is to ask: Is it just bad luck or is there a deeper psychological explanation to it?
I will ask the Mods that this question be moved to it's own thread. Perhaps to discuss national mindsets in general and their possible relation to accidents. The discussion does not belong in this thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom