Are more hotels charging for pier use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sallygirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i just read a FB post by a Cozumel dive op that says all hotels are now charging a $2 fee to pick up divers at the hotel pier. True?

It was reported that Allegro/Occidental and ProDive are instituting a $3 per use pier fee in November or December.

I haven't heard about "all hotels". That would be a travesty.

In my opinion, absolutely. And they will get away with it unless divers vote with their pocketbooks and choose not to go to those places and not to use those on-site ops.

I've read many of these posts and I'm sorry, but paying $3.00 just isnt a deal breaker for me...In fact, its a non news issue.

I stay at Occidental and I happen to use their on site shop....try taking a bottle of wine into a restaurant and asking them to open it for you for free...this concept aint new folks!

In my opinion, absolutely. And they will get away with it unless divers vote with their pocketbooks and choose not to go to those places and not to use those on-site ops.

I agree.

Viewing it as similar to being charged to use the paved driveway or exit doors. Freedom to use the maintained exit points, land and sea.

Cameron

I've read many of these posts and I'm sorry, but paying $3.00 just isnt a deal breaker for me. a QUOTE]

The problem was not the $3 fee, it was the process that they make the dive shop operators go through to buy the $3 passes. The dive shop operator must first get the payment authorization from the hotel, then drive to the bank and pay the bank with that authorization, then drive to the accounting office at the hotel to present the bank receipt showing the authorization was paid, then go through security to gain access to the administrative offices to get the passes, then wait 30 minutes to be given the passes, then drive back to the shop.

I like the true local experience, so my next trip I am staying at an Air BnB and just catching a taxi to the marina to meet up with Liquid Blue.

But yeah, I'd pony up the $2 or $3 to dive with who I want to. Or, if possible, I would just wade out and hop on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom